Breast augmentation 2 years ago & I'm unhappy with the results; can I remove the implants?

my name is melissa i am 26 years old. 5"7 120 pounds. I got a breast augmentation two years ago. unfortunately i am very unhappy with the results. i was a 32 b cup size now i am 32dd/ddd. my implants are 300 cc saline overfilled to 375, the implants are over the muscle and they are pretty low. i no longer have any feeling in both my breast. my question is, can i remove my implants even though its over the muscle and do some sort of lift to look good or do i have to have so sort of implant??

Yes, implants can always be removed. If your breasts sag more after they are removed how would that make you feel?  

Providence Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - unhappy with the result

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

Good news - you can definitely have your implants out and have a lift at the same time to reshape them. You do not have to have an implant. You may be surprised by how small you are at first, but none of my patients who have had me do this have regretted their decision. Just be sure you have a surgeon who goes over the pros and cons so you can make an informed decision.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

You have several options

Hi Melissa!  I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with your results.  The good news is that it shouldn't be too difficult to improve your situation.  It would help if you send photos of your current situation and also photos of your pre-op for better guidance.  In reality, if you did not have much sagging before your surgery, it is possible to remove your implants; whether or not you will need a lift is dependent on if you had sagging before your surgery or have experienced stretching of your skin after surgery. Whether or not you would benefit from an implant is dependent on your goals for shape and size. No matter what, you should seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in breast revision surgery for optimal outcome. 

Make sure to check your surgeon's online reviews, see if they have a strong following on instagram/facebook/etc to see if they are credible, and ask their staff about how happy their patients are and if they have any that would be willing to talk to you. I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Breast augmentation revision

You can do all of those maneuvers to get your breast to look perfect for you with a breast augmentation revision; You can even have your implants replaced in a subpectoral (under the muscle) if you should like. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Can I remove breast implants?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing.  Without photographs it is difficult to give you good advice; in my practice, I individualize patients' care when it comes to this specific operation. For example, if a patient has significant and/or asymmetric breast ptosis, I think it may be in her best interest to have the breast implants removed first and undergo breast lifting at a later date. On the other hand, if the patient has a mild degree of breast ptosis and good symmetry present, then a single stage procedure will likely achieve the same outcome.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

I'm sure you can appreciate that we cannot give you any worthwhile advice for your particular situation without good photos or an exam. Over the muscle saline implants are almost never a good idea when looking for good results. You may or may not need a lift, the best way to find out would be to have your surgeon deflate the implants with a needle in the office and wait 6 weeks to see how much your tissues contract. It might be a better idea to convert to a submuscular and smaller silicone implant. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant removal

So sorry to hear about your experience.  You can certainly have your implants removed. Whether a lift is needed will depend on you r breast size, skin laxity, and desires as well as your tolerance for a scar.  Without a photo, it is impossible to comment accurately.  Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in revisionary breast surgery.  Best Regards

Implant removal.

It is very  difficult to comment on your case without seeing you in person or seeing pictures. With that said, there is a trend to having a more natural look with breast surgery and many patients are trending to downsize or even remove the implants. How about the breast tissue and skin is going to respond after   the removal of implants  really depends on your individual skin quality and how long you've had the implants. I recommend that you seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon to see in person and have them evaluate you and give you the proper recommendations. Best of luck. 

Breast implant removal

I'm sorry you are unhappy with your implants.  You can certainly have them removed.  Determining if you are a good candidate for a lift without any implant is a determination that would require an examination and discussion of your goals.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.

Camille Cash, MD

Unhappy with the results after augmentation.

Thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear about your outcome.  I would welcome a face to face evaluation to determine the tissues and to discuss the options.  This may range from removal without any other intervention or a combination of downsize of implants and a lift.  An in person evaluation would be needed to provide an accurate answer.  Always seek a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in breast surgery.  Thank you.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon