Breast reduction queries. Any suggestions?

Am 18 y/o, size 30J. Breasts very disproportionate to my body (5'3 and 115 lbs). Considering reduction but I have a few questions. -Very nervous about scarring. I understand it takes 1-2 years to fade, but after that, how visible are they? -How to tell what size you should become? -How long-post-op can you start excersising again and wearing underwire bras? -As I'm 18, is it possible the breasts will grow again post-op? -How to prevent sagging post-op? Thanks!

Schedule a consultation with a board eligible/certified plastic surgeon

who accepts your insurance and find out what can be done for you.  You are trading scars for a better quality of life and will not be able to fully breast feed and you are likely to lose sensation to your nipples with this procedure.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  Without seeing you it is hard to say, however, scars do fade in time and if you are truly unhappy with the way that you look now it may be a good trade off for you.  I would suggest that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are.  This will give you the answers to your questions and may help to put your mind at ease regarding your concerns about the scars and such.  Get as much information as you can to make an informed decision.Best of luckDr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Scarring is a fact of life with any type of surgery. The only way to avoid significant scars accompanied with breast reduction surgery is through a reduction with liposuction. However, very few patients are good candidates for breast reduction by liposuction. Scars after a standard breast reduction do fade in time. Scar massage and the use of silicone sheeting can significantly improve the appearance of your scars following surgery. Your size goals after reduction should be discussed with your plastic surgeon. I don't recommend bouncing type of exercises for at least 6 weeks after surgery. Underwire bras can usually be worn comfortably after 1 month. It is possible for your breasts to grow postoperatively with weight gain, during pregnancy and while breast feeding. Thank you for sharing your questions. Best wishes.Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Breast reduction queries. Any suggestions

Based on your descriptions, you are a good candidate for breast reduction. This would improve your health and reduce chances of pain in the future.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Surgery

Hello,Scaring is usually a non-issue with breast reduction patients, and frequently they are nearly or truly inconspicuous in a short time. How much to reduce should be less about proportion and more about getting a great result with your reduction. Not removing enough tissue is one of the most frequent complaints after surgery. So, an examination would be necessary.  In my practice, patients are exercising in two weeks, and wearing any bra that is comfortable, including underwire, when they feel they can. Most women begin wearing underwire in 4 weeks. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast reduction for 18-year-old 30 J cup size

Suffering with the disproportionate size of your breast can really adversely affect one's life and outlook.  Considering a breast reduction at your size and weight is reasonable and can be life-changing.  Most patients find the residual scarring to be an acceptable trade-off for the decrease in pain and social discomfort.  I recommend for my patients the use of Embrace Scar Therapy after surgery to reduce but not eliminate the scarring.  One issue I also point out to patients is that their breasts may continue to grow until they'rein their early 20s and rarely a secondary reduction is necessary. My best advice is for you to meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss options and review before and after photographs.  You may find that very convincing that the surgery is worthwhile and would benefit you. Best wishes. Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast reduction

thank you for your question and your concerns. There is a very nice new way that we treat scars called the embrace scar therapy system.  I use this on all of my patients that I do cosmetic surgery on especially breast lift and breast reductions to give them as inconspicuous of a scar as possible. This is a five time therapy over 50 weeks that is done in the office after the surgery. As far as the breasts growing after an overtime this is always possible but it is very difficult to predict whether or not this is going to happen but I would highly recommend that you have a breast reduction because it will dramatically improve your quality of life. 

Breast reduction queries.

These are all very important questions to consider. I think the first step needs to be getting a consultation and exam with an experienced surgeon. After the exam your questions should all be answered. I will tell you that breast reduction patients are probably the happiest group of patients a plastic surgeon has. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast reduction

There is a chance for regrowth of tissue and yes the scarring is unpredictable. Consult with board certified plastic surgeons that specialize in reductions 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Breast reduction

Thank you for the question and at a consultation aided by photography you will become fully informed about the procedure you are seeking. So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and find out if this is the operation for you
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD