Had Breast Lift on 8/3 and my incision has not stayed closed and keeps opening up. Any suggestions to healing this quicker? (pho

It just continues to open after each visit with my PS. He is extremely reputable and I know I'm in good hands. The plan of action is to use prescribed cream and gauze and just let it heal. it started "spitting" over 3 weeks ago and is just getting worse by the wound spreading wider, bleeding and hurts more then any of the work I had done.

Open Wound After Surgery

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Pyoderma gangrenosum

I would just ask your surgeon if this could possibly be pyoderma gangrenosum. It's obviously a much less common diagnosis than straight up skin necrosis post a mastopexy/reduction. But the dermis I can see in the wound actually looks pretty healthy, and I think, but am not sure on photos alone, that healthy looking skin initially is now necrosing. That's the red flag. I've seen it a couple of times, and it never seems to get picked up early...only when the 'why is this still getting worse' button gets pushed. And the cases I've seen, diagnosed in conjunction with a dermatologist, have responded very very well to systemic medications. Best of luck, Mark.

Mark Baldwin, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast Wound

Hello,If there is an implant under there, it's probably a good idea to start antibiotics. Hyperbaric oxygen and wound vac are also recommended.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) will help heal this wound better and faster.  The trick is finding the right provider.

Hyperbaric oxygen

I would add hyperbaric oxygen to your wound care therapy.  We have it available in  a few locations. This works in my opinion and helps get big wounds closed faster.  Also a VAC sponge may help. Your plastic surgeon can talk to you about this. Good luck!

Andrew T. Cohen, MD