Will breast implants be a success with my case of pectus carinatum? (Photo)

My breast are currently a size 34B. It is emotionally exhausting looking for swimsuits that will fit and cover the middle of my chest. The right side of my protrudes far more than the left. I really want to consider getting a breast lift in hopes of it covering majority of the protruding bone but I'm really afraid of it not looking the way I would like it to. Any advice would help a lot! Thank you.

#Breastimplants #Pectusexcavatum

SNB,

Pectus carinatum or excavatum? It looks concave rather than convex. And yes, implants can help but you need a good plastic surgeon comfortable with approximating the cleavage line that uses appropriate width implants.

Feel free to call or email us if you have any further questions.

Dr. Daniel Barrett
Barrett Plastic Surgery
9735 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 216
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Beverly Hills Physician

Implants will make your breasts larger

and will likely make the defect more pronounced.  Consider filling the hole with fat grafting and once that is established and smoother, then consider implants.  Implants have a tendency to slide towards holes so using textured anatomic implants could be better in your situation.  Discuss your concerns with your chosen surgeon and find out the options available to you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation with chest deformity

Pectus carinatum, or pidgeon breast, in a female, can easily be camouflaged with breast augmentation and implants.  Males, obviously, need to have their sternum and ribs reconstructed.   But I have had many female patients with both pectus carinatum and pectus excavatum where breast augmentation is ideal.

Will breast implants be a success with my case of pectus carinatum?

You do appear to have a complex pectus deformity which would probably be made less visible and noticeable by placement of breast implants to enhance your breasts.  Avoiding too narrow a diameter implant such as with a high profile implant would be important in my opinion.  My past experience has shown that breast augmentation takes attention away from the sternum area but of course does not eliminate the deformity itself.  Best wishes and enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Pectus Carinatum and Breast Augmentation

From your photograph, it appears that you do have a reasonable chest wall irregularity. Frequently, breast implants can help camouflage the underlying abnormality if chosen properly. A textured implant can be of some value to help limit the tendency of the implant to want to slide along the angle of the chest. You will never have complete Correction of your asymmetry or chest wall abnormality, but this can be significantly improved.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Sternal Deformity

You should get a nice result using asymmetrically sized and possibly shaped implants to improve your overall breast/chest appearance and to camouflage your sternal irregularity. You are lean, so additional fat grafting might not be available, but would have been helpful too. I have been using shaped, highly cohesive, form stable implants (anatomic shaped gummy bear) for people like yourself with asymmetry to their ribcage. Implant selection with these are based on linear measurements, as opposed to volume. For each side of your chest, a specific height, width, and projection is chosen to fulfill your deficit. All though round smooth devices can do a nice job too, I have found these gummy bear implants better. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implants (not a lift) will help mask the chest wall deformity and the cleavage should not be any wider and probably not any narrower than your photos currently show. This is not an easy augment so be sure and choose an experienced surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Augmentation alone

Thank you for the question and photos and an augmentation alone with different sized implants should help.  You do not need a lift.  So see some experts in your area and find your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Chest wall deformities and breast implants

Sometimes these issues can be hidden beneath the implants if the right implant is chosen. Best to see a very experienced doctor to make the best choices.

Pectus and breast implants

breast augmentation Can often go far to decrease the visual effect of pectus. You definitely don't need a breast lift. One consideration would be having your breast augmentation, living with it for a while, and then deciding whether some fat grafting might be helpful in that area to decrease the we width and fill in the depression.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon