Are my breast implants placed too high? (Photo)

Hi, About 3 years ago I had a breast augmentation done (sub muscular, high profile, through the armpit). They haven't change the touch (soft) or shape, but I have find myself not quite happy with it. I moved overseas before a suitable time to be able to question my doctor about it, and was wondering if I should look for a new doctor to get it fixed, or if isn't worth it. Also wonder if the use of the strip again could help it to settle a bit nicer. Thank you.

Are my breast implants placed too high?

Based on the picture provided your breast do look slightly higher than hey should be, especially 3 years post-op. If your breast are still firm and high you should probably see your plastic surgeon, or another plastic surgeon to have them properly assessed. It could possibly be capsular contracture. Correction surgery could potentially help with the height and firmness of your breast. Since it has been 3 years, I don't believe the "strip" will help them settle. See a plastic surgeon for more advice and have a better assessment on what is going on with your breast.   

Pocket Revision

Yes your implants appear to be high and tight. The scar capsule will likely have to be released and pocket revised to allow them to drop and soften properly. I recommend that you book an in-person consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

All the best 

Too High

Hello there 

Yes they may be a little high 

You may need to lower pole scar capsule released 

Worth seeing  a plastic surgeon about it at this stage .

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Revision Breast Augmentation

They certainly look pretty high and hard, so I would recommend you come in for evaluation with an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in revision breast surgery.  Although I perform primary augmentation via the axilla, revision surgery is almost always through an inframammary incision, which is equally as inconspicuous. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

You have a high breast "footprint"

Hi, and thank you for your question. From your photo, it looks as though your native breast outline, or footprint as we call it, is naturally high on your chest. Your implant is situated and centered properly behind your breast, but because your breast is high on your chest, your implant is high on your chest. If you wish for less upper pole fullness, you would need to replace the current implant with a smaller implant. But the implant position right now looks appropriate. It would be risky and not beneficial to lower your breast crease in order to have the implant sit lower on the chest wall. My advice is to leave them as they are, or downsize them if you are vey bothered by the fullness of the upper pole.

Dr. Weintraub

Unsettled Implants after armpit incision.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your breast augmentation results. Living with disappointed results for 3 years must be tough. Hopefully things can change for you.

The reason for your result did not have to do with your implant, but with the transaxillary approach to insert the implant. The problem with the placing the implant through the armpit is that when we surgeons are creating the pocket for the implant, we are unable to properly and accurately dissect the lower boundaries of the pocket. This is referred to as the blinded approach. This prevents the implant from fully dropping down making the breasts seem to have a 50:50 upper pole to lower pole ratio rather than 45:55.

This is why transaxillary (armpit) incision is best for patients with defined breast shape. If you did not have a defined inframammary fold, then the surgery simply expands the breasts, but does not sufficiently provide shape. Other surgeons are now using endoscopic-assisted transaxillary breast augmentation to accurately dissect the pockets so that implants can drop.

To rectify the problem, the inframammary incision will need to be used now. This means a new scar may end up under the breast fold. The surgery may entail releasing the inframammary fold or even lowering it to allow the implants to drop down a bit more. There are different risks with a revision surgery especially if a new surgeon will be operating as they may not precisely know what was done by the previous surgeon.

I cannot say whether it would be worth it or not, but it depends on your preference and assessing the risks and benefits with revision surgery.

Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon and share your concerns and goals.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Martin Jugenburg, MD