Getting a Breast Augmentation while on antibiotics.

I'm on a small daily dose of antibiotics prescribed by my urologist to prevent UTIs since I'm really prone to get them. I have to take them long term and I was thinking about getting a breast augmentation soon. I guess I'll have to stop the antibiotic my urologist prescribed in order to take the postop antibiotics but should I stop taking them before surgery as well? I'm afraid if I stop like 2 or 3 weeks before I'll get UTI again just before surgery... Right now I'm infection free. Thanks

Antibiotics and breast augmentation

the most important thing is that you are infection free at the time of your surgery and during the immediate post op period. There is really no scientific data that supports use of oral antibiotics with breast implants in the general population.  I would speak to your surgeon and go with his or her direction. Personally, I would have you continue your urology antibiotics straight through the surgery and post op period. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Pre Op Medication

Thank you for your question but this sort of thing would be best discussed and planned with your operating surgeon as they know your situation the best.

All the best

Most likely he will be able to continue your small dose antibiotics but will be given an additional prescription for preoperative antibiotics before your augmentation mammoplasty.  However is crucial that she discuss with your surgeon head of time.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Please discuss with your surgeon.  You will likely not have to cancel your surgery unless you have an active infection at that time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast augmentation

can be done while on prescriptions for antibiotics like you are and you can take both of them if needed.  Best to just ask your surgeon for advice but unless you have an active infection, you can have your procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation and Antibiotics

I would tell you to stay on the antibiotics.  Your PS may give you an additonal dose but the antibiotic you are taking should not affect your breast augmentation procedure.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics and Breast Augmentation

Good news! You don't have to stop taking your daily antibiotics (Macrobid or nitrofurantoin?) for your breast augmentation surgery. On the day of surgery you can take it as well.  In addition, you will be given another type of antibiotic during surgery that covers skin flora, and you may be given a few doses of the same antibiotic to take at home in the first 24 hours. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation while on antibiotics

Perioperative antibiotics are routine when patients undergo implant placement such as breast augmentation. Thus, you being on antibiotics is a good thing. You should just continue taking the antibiotics throughout your breast augmentation period.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

If you have an active infection, you should not have a breast augmentation. But it sounds like you are on prophylactic treatment. This will need to be discussed with the doctor doing your surgery but I doubt it will cause any problem. Almost no one uses oral antibiotics for breast augmentation as the studies are quite clear it is of no value. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Antibiotics and breast augmentation

If you are on prophylactic antibiotics (to prevent infection) that should not be a problem at all.  If you have an active infection, however, it is best to wait until your infection is cleared before your surgery.  Either way it is very important for you to discuss your situation with your plastic surgeon so both of you are well informed.

Dr. L