How much can botox reduce my massater muscles and how many sessions of how many units does it take? (photo)

I am would like to make my face thinner so I think botox might be one option . Are there more options though?

I use about 40 - 60 units of Botox per Masseter and repeat at 1 , 3 and 6 months as needed to get the desired reduction in muscle volume.  Having said that, I do not believe that your Masseters are enlarged from the attached photo.  In your photo, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and while I don't see a profile view, I suspect that the chin is also weak.  These combine to create an oval shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

When the chin is weak this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face appear shorter which de-emphasizes the shape and fullness of the lips.  Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found placing a silastic chin implant through a small, curved, incisions under the chin to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts with placement of screws and metal plates.

Hope this helps.

How much can Botox reduce my masseter muscles and how many sessions of how many units does it take?

Thank you for your question. Approx. 30 -60 units of Botox are required to achieve a desired effect, an injector will have to assess your masseter muscle. It takes approx. 6 months after the first injection to obtain any noticable results. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I recommend shaving down the jawline

The procedure is commonly done or needed in Eastern European, Middle Eastern and Asian populations. The procedure is done from inside the mouth and the outer shell of the jaw bone is removed. A 3D cone beam CTscan is commonly used to plan out the surgery. 

The botox units described by some of the doctors I would consider to be too high for most patients. 

Charles S. Lee, MD

Botox for masseter muscle reduction - Williamsville, NY

Thank you for your question and photo.

Masseter muscle reduction is effective but requires expertise.

An in person examination with an expert is very important.

Dr Karamanoukian

Botox for Masseter Muscles

I suggest you go to an expert for this treatment.  It requires skill and expertise and an individualized approach.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and masseter injections

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. I would recommend that you visit with an experienced injector for this procedure. I often start with 20 to 25 units of Botox in each masseter muscle. This is all dependent on a physical exam. Some patients may require a second treatment in a few weeks time depending on how they respond to the first treatment. 

Botox For Jaw Slimming

Hi Alex. Thanks for your question. Botox can be an excellent option to reduce the size of the masseter muscle and make your jawline appear slimmer. The amount you will need is based on the size and strength of your muscle. For women, usually 20-25 units per side is adequate. Please find an injector experienced in treating this area. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Botox to slim the face.

For appropriate candidates, botox or xeomin can be a wonderful way of reducing the masseter muscle bulk.  The degree of change of course depends on the thickness and prominence of the muscle.
Meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon to discuss all of your options.  

Jon A Perlman, M.D. FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover/ABC TV plastic surgeon
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Making The face thinner with botox?

The masseter muscles can be made slightly thinner when hypertrophied using approximately 20 units per side of Botox. Having said that from the photo you submitted you do not need any thinning of the masseter muscle. This will only make your face look disproportional.  

Botox masseter

It is true that you could alter masseter muscle with Botox by essentially paralyzingly your chewing muscle.  However I look at the whole face and the subcutaneous and fat tissue and consult with patient on all possible ways of achieving the look that is desired as just paralyzing a muscle might not give you the result that you want.  So have to look at all layers and not just a muscle. 

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD