Botox Question: Recovery Time of Treatment?

My concern is getting Botox and accidentally twitching/rubbing the area (without knowing or realiziang it) within the 4 to 6 hr recovery time. What are the realistic chances that the Botox will, for sure, migrate to other areas and cause droopiness? I hear from some medical folks that it's not that likely to migrate but Doctors like to "be safe than sorry". What is the truth behind the likelihood? Also, I have back issues and need to sleep without a pillow. Is that fine after the 4 hr recovery?

Botox Does Not Migrate

This is a common question in our clinic. Botox is a really remarkable medication in that it does exactly what it is supposed to do and nothing more - weaken muscles. How much weakness depends directly on the dose you inject. It stays only in the place you inject it without migrating and it is gone in 3 months. There are no allergies, no reactions and the only side effects are due to incorrect dosage or placement. The only limitation I recommend after Botox treatment is to not get a massage where you place your face into a circular pillow for a few days. Its OK to lie down, touch your face and resume all activities after injection. Sleeping without a pillow is fine.

Botox and migration.

Despite lots of advice online, there is no scientific evidence that shows twitching or rubbing the treatment area after Botox injections causes it to migrate to other areas. Seek out a highly trained and skilled injector and you will be fine. The chances of Facial droopiness because of Botox injections are very unlikely.

Anil Sharma, MD
Edmonton Otolaryngologist

Botox recovery

It's ok to touch your face after Botox. It's not ok to have something like a facial or facial massage right after. I tell people that's it's fine to just be normal. I have found zero difference if people work out, lie down, etc. and I've injected Botox for about 20 years. The effects and outcomes are dependent on the experience of your injector.

Botox and Recovery Time

The main Botox rules is to keep your head upright for 4 hours after injections and to refrain from exercise after injecting for 24 hours. Please consult an expert to have the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Botox recovery time

Thank you for your question. A simple, non-surgical procedure used to smooth persistent lines. Botox relaxes the muscles that cause lines to the forehead, around the eyes and between the brows by repeated facial expressions. Results are noticeable within a few days and results last approximately 4 months. Just remember to be injected by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates Barrington Oakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Can I rub botox and create a side effect

Botox rarely moves from it's intended site. And no true evidence that rubbing or twitching will do that.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox Post-Procedure Care

In our clinic, we recommend our patients to not lie down for three hours following botox injections to prevent possible migration of the product. However, it is fine to lie down after this three hour window. Likewise, we also recommend to not participate in rigorous workouts right after. There is no harm in simply touching your skin once you get your injections but it is best to try and simply avoid the area it if possible. It best to consult your cosmetic surgeon on his or her specific post-procedure instructions.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

It is very rare for Botox to migrate to other areas, as long as it is done correctly. You can not rub Botox to such an extent where it moves. 

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox migrating to another area

Every injector has post injection instructions that they can give you so that you do not have to worry about Botox traveling into another area. A simple touch of the face or application of moisturizer or sunscreen should not be a problem. While there is a chance of it migrating to another area of your face, the chances of that happening are quite rare. You will be fine without the use of a pillow if it is after the 4 hr recovery window.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Treatments

Great question! Botox is a safe and effective treatment for targeting fine lines and wrinkles, with very little down time. It’s okay to touch your face after receiving Botox injections; however you want to avoid facial massage or rigorous activity for the few hours following your treatment. It’s always best to check with your injecting physician for any specific post-injection instructions, but generally speaking sleeping without a pillow will not be a problem. Best of luck!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD