Botox Question on Glabella Area?

I am considering having Botox done this summer & recently met with a doctor for a consultation. He tells me that what I can expect is for the injected area to come down slightly, but when reading many doctors' advices on here, most medical experts are saying that patients can expect a slight lift from Botox within the injected glabella area. Please kindly elaborate. The doctor I went to seems very experienced. It's just the fact that he said the area will cause a slight shift downwards scares me.

Glabellar Botox Should Elevate Brows

If you are having just the glabellar area injected, you should expect to get a subtle lift to your medial brows if the procedure is performed correctly. The muscles that we are weakening in the glabellar area are brow depressors, so they usually pull the brows down when activated. Weakening them will cause the opposite effect - it should pul the brows up. If, however, you are injecting the forehead, its the opposite story. The forehead muscles pull the brows up, so weakening them too much tends to cause the brows to come down. This is why it is important to be conservative when injecting the forehead. I would get a second opinion, just to make sure.

Botox to glabella

I think you should listen to the doctor you saw.  Everyone's anatomy is different.  Some people do get a slight lowering of their inner eyebrows when the glabella is injected, while other's may get a lift.  Typically, injecting the glabella causes that muscle to relax, and the lateral brow to elevate slightly and the glabella just to flatten and relax a bit.  If you are unhappy with the opinion of the doctor you saw, seek a second and third opinion, but I think in person, since everyone is different. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in the glabella

Thank you for your question cici99fromcali. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as those between the brows seen when one frowns. A common confusion is when treating the forehead. This is because there are two muscles in the area that act in opposition with each other. The frontalis lies above the brows and is responsible for lifting the brows. The glabella on the other hand lies between the brows and is responsible for bringing the brows downward and inward. Some people have a small forehead and the muscles are very close to each other. Relaxing the frontalis with Botox will address the horizontal wrinkles seen when one raises the brows. If placed to low it can bring the position of the brow down or make it feel heavy. Relaxing the glabella with Botox will address the vertical lines between the brows seen when one frowns. It can also provide a subtle lift to the brows. The great thing about Botox is that corrections can often be made and results are temporary. Most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Will botox raise or lower my brows?

Great question. Botox can raise or lower the inner brow area depending on the natural "heaviness" of this area and how much the muscle action is actively lowering the brow prior to treatment. Listen to your doctor since he/she sounds experienced in this area.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

It all depends on your particular facial anatomy

In answer to your question, it depends on your particular facial anatomy as well as your Botox injector’s experience level. If your injector is strictly injecting the corrugator muscles (known as the glabella or the number 11 lines) you shouldn’t notice any real drop in your forehead.  However, if they also inject your forehead to reduce horizontal wrinkles you may experience a dropped brow appearance.  This is related to the Frontalis muscle of the forehead that holds everything up.  When we relax part of the Frontalis muscle, depending on the amount of Botox used, it can relax it too much and drop the brow.  There are many different injection techniques to avoid this effect.  I would recommend going to a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon as they have the most experience with the facial muscles and anatomy.  In addition to this, if you have any hooding of your upper eyelids Botox can exacerbate this by relaxing certain muscles of your face.  When placed in selective locations, botox can give you a slight lifting effect of the brows.  Discuss your concerns with your doctor to determine if you are a good candidate for botox.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and lift

When injected properly, Botox to the muscles in the glabella will allow a passive "lift" not drop of that area.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Botox for the glabella frown lines

In most cases there is a slight lift in the brow, although if the upper forehead is being treated, then there can be a slight drop in the brows. As long as you have a highly trained skin expert such as a dermatologist, you can be sure that you'll have the optimal balance of great results and safety. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating the glabella by injecting the corrugator and procerus

There are two muscles in the area referred to as the glabella: the procerus and the paired corrugator supercilii.  The procerus creates the dynamic horizontal lines while the corrugator creates vertical lines, or the so-called "11s".  Both muscles are brow depressors and relaxing these muscles will result in subtle medial brow elevation.   

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Expectations for Botox in the glabella

WIthout photographs and a personal examination, it is hard to say for sure in your case.

For most patients, relaxing the corrugator muscles with the Botox causes the medial brows to elevate and widen slightly.  If you treat the forehead  (frontalis muscle) at the same time, the lifting effect will be minimal since the lift is generated by the frontalis muscle.  The lateral brow can be lifted by a drop of Botox under the lateral brow.

In general the medial brow position change is relatively subtle if the corrugators alone are treated.  The glabella is probably the most predictable treatment area and is ideal for a first time treatment.  The good and bad news about Botox is the same:  If you don't like it, it will wear off in about 4 months.  If you do like'll have to get some more in about 4 months.

Every individual is different, and if you saw an experienced injector, he should know what to expect from his injection technique.  If you any doubt, seek a second opinion.

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Question on Glabella Area?

The way Botox is injected, even within the Glabellar area, will vary from doctor to doctor.  In some patients Botox injected in the Glabellar area, if extended slight above the medial part of the eyebrow causes the area to raise slightly.  If you're looking for the tail (outside) of the eyebrow to raise, this can be accomplished with a small amount of Botox placed within that eyebrow segment