Botox doesn't seem to be lasting

I had Botox done on my chin to smooth out mentalis dimpling on Feb. 9th ( pictures up on my profile) and when I first had it done, 6 units, it left a strange lump in the middle of my chin for about a week. On the second week it started to smooth out but after that it seemed as if there was too much Botox and my chin looked long and it was difficult to close my mouth. It has gone down since then but I'm noticing the dimpling coming back. How long is Botox supposed to last? It has not been a month

Moral of story after failed Botox attmepts

I would avoid botox use for your chin; it is obviously not working for you. Please see link below for examples of Botox working.

Botox Results on Chin

It typically lasts 2-3 months in most patients but since you are using a small amount in a large muscle it may last less time.  More dosing here may not be a good idea since you had issues with the previous small dosing.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox duration when injected in the chin

Judicious placement of Botox in small units is best to prevent diffusion into muscles adjacent to the chin that can cause an uneven smile. It is best to go back and get more if it is wearing off sooner than to get a larger Botox dose that causes side effects.

Best
Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo Phlebologist

Botox duration

Hello and thank you for your questions, and I hope you get the results you desire. Botox will typically begin to "kick in" after 4-7 days, but some may see results earlier. The full effect is usually seen after 7-10 days, so two weeks after your injections is a great time for a follow-up with your injector. Additional injections may be given at 2 weeks if more correction is desired/needed. Botox typically lasts 3-4 months, and after that it begins to slowly wear off. If you are not happy with the results you are getting, it is best to follow up with your injector and discuss your concerns.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Chin injection with Botox is only for experts

If this injection is not done correctly, side effects like you describe and asymmetric smile can occur (DLI being hit). It should last about 3 months. I use 5 units in most patients.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and chin

I usually have good results with treating the chin. it should last 3-6 months. Be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for treatment

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Chin Botox

The dimpling in the chin is difficult to treat.  Over administration of even a couple of units can make the mouth dynamic change drastically.  For this reason doctors usually out small amounts here.  Once you're comfortable with it you can increase slightly to last longer or use s concentrated mixture of Botox or Dysport 

Ben Talei, MD

Botox usually lasts 3 to 6 months, however some patients are resistant or the dose is too low.

A good response to Botox requires the proper dose administered by an expert doctor who know where to inject the Botox for the best and longest lasting result.  That said, diluted  Botox does not last as long as a full dose, so check with you doctor to see if you are getting the recommended number of units for the area being treated.  

Some patients are resistant to the Botox brand.  If you are getting the right dose and still are not seeing a good result, have you doctor switch to Dysport or Xeomin.  It is possible that you have developed antibodies to Botox that cancel out it's effect. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and the Chin Area

It should take around 4 units to treat the dimpling in the chin and you should not have had the results that you had.  Botox generally lasts about 3 to 4 months in this area.  Please consult an expert with Botox. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD