Botox for jaw slimming! Can Botox be used to fix the asymmetry can was caused? (photo)

Do I slim the wide side of my jaw? What are the options to slim down my jaw? Or is there fillers to wide the slim side of my jaw? I wear a night guard and I think I used to grind on one side more. Is the enlargement of one side of my face caused by bruxism. I want options to make my face more symmetrical

Botox to contour the lower face

Thank you for your question princesspink17. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox can be used to contour the lower face by placing it in the masseter muscle. This muscle can get larger in people who grind or clench their teeth, and the effect may be asymmetric. The safety and efficacy of Botox has not been determined for those under the age of 18. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Your jaw still may be developing

It may be too early to commit yourself to any procedure. It all depends on your age since your jaw still may be developing. There are variety of options for correcting jaw asymmetry including Botox and various fillers. Besides fillers, surgery can be performed to attain symmetry. Please make an appointment to consult an expert. Best of luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox slimming

Thank you for your photos! Botox is a great option to slim your posterior jawline if you are concerned that it is too wide. The injection is done in the masseter muscle to reduce its size over several weeks. It is best to have an in-office examination to evaluate your natural features and determine the best treatment plan to get the look you would like. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Botox injection and jaw contouring

Botox injection into the masseter muscles can help contour the lower face and jawline. In patients who grind their teeth, the masseter muscle enlarges, sometimes asymmetrically. In your case, I would consider Botox injection, with more Botox used on the right side but both sides still being treated. Of course, you need to be evaluated in person by an experienced injector. 

You can widen the smaller side or narrow the wider side

Really depends on what you're looking for. If bruxism or teeth grinding is your concern, then definitely botox the wider side. The dosing will depend on what you want - if you want to shrink the larger side, the botox dose is higher than if you're simply trying to get rid of bruxism (smaller dose for this).

Charles S. Lee, MD

Jaw and face asymmetry options using Botox and Filler injectables

Dear princesspink17:

Thanks for sharing your photos. It is natural to have asymmetry of the face as it is the extremities and body. It is how the skeleton grows during development. If you are 17 as the login name implies, your jaw may not be fully developed and adjustments may further alter the growth pattern. 

Please obtain a consultation for proper evaluation and discussion of the options with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Oral Surgeon well trained in facial development, injectables and surgery. Bring photos of your younger self to the appointment with you. 

• Botox is useful when upon grinding the teeth, the width of the jaw further widens. 
  • Injectable fillers may help at the skin, fat and bone layers based on examination for what is best for you. 
  • Implants and jaw surgery may be needed to correct on-going deformity. 

I hope this is helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox can help slim the jaw and create more symmetry

Thank you for your question and photos. I do see a slight asymmetry in your jawline with the right being slightly larger than the left. In your case, I would recommend having more Botox injected on the left side to help create mores symmetry. I recommend having a personal consultation with an experienced Botox injector to help determine the best treatment for you!

I hope this answer is helpful. Best of luck!

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for jaw slimming! Can Botox be used to fix the asymmetry can was caused?

Thanks for your photos and question. A face-to-face examination would be very helpful but from your photo review I would suggest that you think of the addition of fillers to the weaker side of your jaw.  Most patients have asymmetries in this area and unless if your masseter is very enlarged I would be more inclined to add volume through the use of Radiesse or Sculptra or even fat grafts to your left mandibular angle region.  Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jaw slimming with Botox

princesspink17,

If your jaw asymmetry is mainly from the muscle on the side of your face then Botox will help slim your face and improve your facial balance.  Examination with a formal consult with help determine if this a option for you.  The muscle enlargement can occur with bruxism, so in the meantime continue to wear your night guard.  Good luck. 

Julie Edween, DO

Reshaping the jawline with botox

Yes, Botox is a great option for slimming the jaw and improving asymmetries.Sculptra is an option too. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a facial sculpting expert. Best, Dr. Emer