Can I just keep grinding my teeth to build the muscle back up?

I got Botox into each jaw 30 units two months ago. I hated the results it made my jawline sag, made face look narrow and sagged cheeks. Now all the sudden after grinding my teeth on purpose the muscle has now started to work again the masatur muscle is starting to go out again when I bite down or grind teeth on purpose. Can I just keep griding my teeth to build the muscle back up and do this for many hours a day, or is there a side effect to me just keep chewing gum all day to rebuild muscle?

How long do Botox masseter injection results last

I think the best thing for you is to wait for the Botox to wear off over the next few months. The muscle bulk will return as the Botox wears off. Sorry to hear about your experience. In patients over the age of 40, it is important for injectors to discuss the fact that their maybe some skin laxity/sagginess after Botox injection into the masseters. This can,of course, be addressed with fillers in patients who need the Botox injection.

Botox and Masseter

It takes 3-4 months for the botox to wear off no matter what you do.  At this point I suggest you just be patient.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox for masseter muscles

Try chewing gum rather than grinding your teeth, which could cause other problems for you.  You could consider a filler such as Restylane or Juvederm to give volume for now.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Masseter treatment

Dear calig3211,
We treat masseter muscles for many reasons, including night time grinding, migraines, and to change the shape of the face.  Sometimes, to achieve the correct facial contouring, we Botox the masseter to reduce the masculine appearance, but then add fillers to shape out the jaw line, without the bulk of the muscle.  You can quickly increase back your jawline or even the bulk in the masseter area with a little filler.  I wouldn't grind too much to hasten the build up of your muscle as it can cause wearing out of your teeth, TMJ issues, or eventually headaches.  If you don't do anything at all, your masters will eventually go to their previous size from your normal talking and eating.

Let us know if we can be of any help!

Teeth Grinding To Build Up Jaw?

Yes you could, but should you? Absolutely not. The effects of teeth grinding on your TM joint and on your teeth themselves are PERMANENT. Even constant or frequent gum chewing is really not good for overall dental health. Just wait it out.The Botox wears off in 3-6 months and you'll be back to baseline. The reason you're able to "now all of the sudden" grind is because the effects of the Botox on your masseter muscle are wearing off, as expected. Wait it out. Do NOT purposely, constantly grind your teeth. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Masseter Injections

I would not recommend purposely grinding your teeth as this can have adverse dental and TMJ consequences.  The good news is that the botox only lasts about 3 months (sometimes more/sometimes less).  And so it is not surprising that you are starting to see signs of movement again in a big muscle such as the masseter.  I think chewing a normal amount of gum is probably ok, but again, overdoing it can cause some problems with the jaw joint.  Although it is hard, patience and letting things return back to normal over the next month or so is the safest course of action.  Good Luck.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon