I had Botox and looks like my face is puffed. Is there anything I need to do?

Swelling after Botox

The swelling should resolve within a couple days. It is recommended to reduce sodium intake and keep your head elevated. Schedule a follow up with your injector at 2 weeks to discuss your concerns if the swelling persists. 

Botox and Bruising

Bruising can be a common occurrence when you get facial injections. With sensitive skin areas and veins, no doctor can guarantee that you will not bruise. To prevent bruising, you need to be prepared, so stop taking omega-3, vitamin E or flaxseed supplements at least one week prior to your procedures. You should also avoid taking ibuprofen a few days before, and finally try not to consume alcohol the night before. All of these increase your chance of bleeding and bruising. Once bruising has occurred we recommend Arnicare and icing to minimize the swelling and bruising.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Botox and puffiness

Botox injections are an amazing way to minimize fine lines on the forehead, glabella, and around the eyes.  I have not seen any patients puffed after the injections except for some localized immediate swelling after the injections.  Please post a photo for more assistance.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Botox.

Puffiness after Botox

If you are referring to the mild swelling or " puffiness" that occurs right after the injections , this normally subsides shortly after your injections.  If you are experiencing puffiness days later, i would book a follow up with your injector and address your concerns.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and Puffiness

Can you tell me which area you are talking about was injected and now is puffy?  Typically around the eyes this can happen and massage works very well to help improve this.  I suggest posting photos or having someone evaluate the area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Puffiness after Botox

Hi FP.  Is the puffiness above the eyes?  Sometimes when patients have had too much Botox in the forehead, they can get ptosis, which is a droopy brow or eyelid.   If you have this, you may want to find out if your injector knows how to do a Botox Browlift as this can help reverse the effects of the droopy brow.   If not, you may want to contact another injector for help.  

To see examples of before and after pictures for Botox injections of our Los Angeles patients, check the link below.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Swelling after Botox

Most swelling resolves within a few  hours unless there is a significant bruising episode.  Ask your injector for advise. They will have your best interest in mind. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Puffed face after Botox

It is possible to get a bit of swelling to the face after a Botox treatment.  I would recommend trying a bit of cooling to the area for the first day or two.  You could use some cool ice pads on and off or some people just prefer to use a package of frozen peas.  Please contact the physician who treated you if the swelling is not improving.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon