Have I been botched? Dr. Did alar base reduction and I didn't think I needed it! How can I fix asymmetry? 2 weeks postop.

Two weeks ago I went in for a rhinoplasty and came out with stitches on each end of my nostrils. I originally had long and narrow nostrils yet symmetric nostrils with nice curvature but now one nostril is much more narrow to the point where I'm having breathing issues and the alar base is longer than the other. I can't flare the side of the wider nostril. Do I have nerve damage. Will this resolve on its own?? I'm getting married in a few months. I look horrible. I feel so depressed about this.

It is concerning that this was not communicated but I am sure it was performed with good intent and your best interests in mind. Photos are needed to advise further please

Two weeks out is early

While it is concerning that you did not discuss incision locations prior to surgery, alar reduction is often necessary for certain cases.

It is not likely you have permanent nerve damage from this, but some temporary weakness or numbness is common.  This should resolve over the coming months.

Without examination I can't say much about the asymmetry.  It is possible that some of this will resolve as the swelling goes down.  This question is best addressed with your surgeon.

I hope this helps!

Paul K. Holden, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Have I been botched?

It is way to early to judge the result especially when you are still in the dressing. You need to wait several months for all the tissues to soften and swelling to resolve.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is not uncommon in the early stages of rhinoplasty recovery to see some asymmetries.  Often these asymmetries resolve themselves during the healing period.  It is usually 6 months before the nose is completely healed.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase.  Best of luck. 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire. It's too early to make value judgments with two weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD