Botched Lipo: Will Tummy Tuck be okay even if I plan on having children later on?

I have not had children and don't plan on them for at least another 5 years - but following very aggressive vaser lipo I have been told by several surgeons that skin only tummy tuck would work for me but I will need a vertical incision too. In your experience have people been happy with this even if they need a muscle repair later after childbirth? I am currently in my 20s and not able to wear a bikini or bend over without loose skin flopping everywhere which massively affects my confidence

Tummy Tuck and pregnancy

A skin only tummy tuck can be effective in improving your look. The muscle tightening or "repair" that is often associated with tummy tucks is only essential when the muscles have separated over time either with weight gain, aging, pregnancy, or a combination of these factors. It is possible to have a skin-only tummy tuck now but you may need another full tummy tuck with muscle tightening after your pregnancy depending on how your body changes. It is best to have an in-office evaluation to determine which type of surgery is best to reach your goals and how to best time your surgery. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

Dr. Derby Sang

pregnancy will have no effect after a procedure, even though i usually advice to wait before having a procedure done. i suggest you to contact a board certified PS and go over all your concerns.

Best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Will TT be ok before child birth

Thanks for your question. Photos would of been Very helpful. Having a skin only TT will have NO affect on you having kids later because your abdominal muscles will not be tighten with a skin only TT. If you have a lot of loose skin after your Lipo procedure, skin only TT is really your only good option. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Tummy tuck & children

It is perfectly safe to get a tummy tuck and then have children. The only issue will be that you may need another one after having your kids which is why I usually advise women to wait, but in your case, it sounds as if it would be worth it. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

I've performed abdominoplasty on many young women who go on to have children.  There is no problem with being pregnant or having childbirth after an abdominoplasty. After children, some women come back for a revision though. I would be sure that your surgeon is an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in body contouring. Additionally, be sure the surgeon is adept at progressive tension sutures, which optimizes skin tension throughout the abdomen and eliminates the need for drains. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

TT

Thank you for the question and I have had patients inadvertently become pregnant and go to term after an abdominoplasty so you should be fine.  Go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and find out what would be the best solution for you.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tummy Tuck be okay even if I plan on having children later on?

• Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure. In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 
  • Having said the above, if you are not planning on pregnancies in the near future, it may make sense to undergo tummy tuck surgery now (and hopefully enjoy the outcome of the procedure for many years). Just keep in mind, that a revisionary procedure may be necessary after pregnancies are completed.
  • I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns) helps.

Hard to answer

So hard to answer without a photo. Couple points to consider. People get pregnant following tummy tucks all the time. Its always a trade off between the skin redundancy and the scar. There isn't a "right answer" for that one. Hopefully, you won't need a muscle repair after childbirth but the scars are, for the right person, well hidden and the patients are happy. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before children

Hi,

A tummy tuck before children is okay, but it is important to remember that the results of your tummy tuck will be altered by pregnancy. This could mean that you will want a repeat tummy tuck after giving birth. However, if you are far out from having children and are uncomfortable with your appearance then a tummy tuck now may be a good option. You are young and so have many years to enjoy the results. 

Next best step is to get a consult with a plastic surgeon nearby and he/she can advise you on the type of tummy tuck that will best suit you.

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Pre-kids tummy tuck

It sounds as if you had such an aggressive liposuction procedure that it is actually simulating what we see all the time in massive weight loss (bariatric) patients - namely, lots of loose skin.  In that situation removing the excess is the only option.  And if it is really bothering you that much, then doing it now is not a bad idea.  Unfortunately subsequent pregnancies can undo at least some of your results.  It is really unpredictable how great the effect will be.  But the good news is that a tummy tuck can be redone, if it is necessary.  What you have to ask yourself is how much does the excess skin bug you RIGHT NOW, and are you willing to undergo another procedure post-kids, if it is necessary.  Only you can answer those questions.  Best of luck.