What's the best body contouring technique option after a full Tummy tuck ? (photos)

Im 27 years old with one child 10 years of age. 6 weeks ago i got a full tummy tuck and I'm extremely happy with the results, i wanted to add liposuction on my sides and back to achieve a really small waist but my surgeon said i didn't need it because with the tummy tuck i would achieve great results. 6 weeks later i still want lipo or some kind of contouring to make my waist smaller. what are some of my options other than liposuction ?

Post op tummy tuck

Wow, you got a great result!  In part that's because you have a nice figure to begin with.  I agree with your surgeon.  Liposuction won't really do much to improve your result.

Liposuction after a tummy tuck

You can certainly do liposuction of your back and sides after your tummy tuck procedure. Liposuction will enhance the already nice contour you have from your tummy tuck. Consult with a few plastic surgeons for a detailed exam in person.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Liposuction after tummy tuck

Thank you for the photos and question.

Liposuction will help further improve your contours and achieve your goals.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Congrats on the nice result

You have a nice contour, and you will still have some swelling for 3-6 months. You could consider liposculpting after 3 months if you still have waist fat that 's palpable. Liposuction can be safely done with abdominoplasty, but if overly aggressive, can lead to necrosis. Make sure to see your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Contouring of the Torso

It's unfortunate that your surgeon did not want to perform liposuction at the same time as your tummy tuck. It is very common for me to perform liposuction at the same time, especially when the patient is requesting more contouring of the waist.
I find that liposuction of the love handles and sides of the waist performed at the same time as an abdominoplasty enhance the results, allowing for better draping of the skin while thinning down the layer of fat. The two procedures really complement each other very well.

Liposuction

It's a shame you didn't get it done with your tummy tuck.  Liposuction is the most reliable and predictable way of improving contours and defatting hot spots.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Liposuction after tummy tuck

Hi Stephanie, congratulations for your great outcome. Liposuction is your best option to improve waist, back and abdomen after tummy tuck but you need to wait at least 3 months so swelling is gone.
Best wishes

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after a tummy tuck

HI stephanie,

I think that liposuction could help you achieve better body contour , but you need to wait at least 6 months or more to let the swelling from the tummy tuck go down . This will allow your surgeon to better evaluate the actual fat that you have and thus give you a abetter result.
Hope this helps,
Dr. Christine Rodgers

Body contouring

• Speak to your surgeon, and I am sure he/she would agree that no, after your abdominoplasty, some liposuction in the area of your waist will help your contour.

After tummy tuck

I think you had a great result from tummy tuck.  Only thing I would consider is to do liposuction.  To improve the body contour, creating narrower waist, thinner abs, you will need to have liposuction in selected areas to give more customized liposculpting.  To do liposuction, you should wait 3-6 months, so that the tummy tuck wound is completely healed.

Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD