Is it OK to have a blocked nose because of mucus 5 days after Rhinoplasty? And is there any way to clean it?

Ever since the surgeon removed the gauze blocking my nasal cavities 4 days post op after an open rhinoplasty i haven't been able to breathe without experiencing leaking of bloody mucus. should I clean my nose in any specific way?

Post-rhinoplasty nasal hygiene

The best way to maintain nasal hygiene after nasal surgery is with frequent nasal saline spray or gentle irrigations. If bleeding is a persistent issue, I recommend following up with your surgeon.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear juliettaYour surgeon most likely gave you a set of postop instructions which should include some information on hoe to care for your nose in the early postop period. In my practice, I would recommend ocean nasal spray used often , 5-6 times daily. do not blow your nose. If very severe, you can return to your surgeons office to have direct removal of crusting by him or her.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear Julieta123, It can be normal to have some blockage in your nose post surgery and in my practice I prefer to have my patients come in to the office and i will clean their nose. Speak with your surgeon and he/she will give you instructions. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Blocked nose after rhinoplasty

It is normal to have nasal blockage for upto 1 month following rhinoplasty due to mucosal swelling. You can try Afrin spray to constrict vascularity to the areas and decrease swelling.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Post Rhinoplasty Care

Hello,You should be using saline nasal spray to frequently to soften mucous buildup. Call you doctors office to see if they have mentioned or provided you with instructions.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and Healing

In general I have my patient start with saline irrigation when they are about 2 weeks out from surgery.  Prior to that I have them gently use a q-tip and dilute hydrogen peroxide to clean around the nostril.  I ask my patients not to enter inside however.Every surgeon has a different postoperative plan of care, and it would be best for you to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Bloody Mucous

Thank you for the question and what you are experiencing is not unusual but call and ask your surgeon what to do as he may have a specific regimen for you.Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Difficulty breathing after rhinoplasty

Breathing does not return to normal for a while after rhinoplasty. You are correct in that mucus can build up. I prescribe my patients nasal saline washes ( NeilMed, e.g.) as soon as the nasal packs are removed. Sometimes, if a turbinate is reduced, you could  experience  bleeding for a while and even some of the necrotic (dead) remnants of the turbinate can slough off a week or two later. It's not unusual to have a foul smell in your nose as well until all the healing is completed.

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS