Can a benelli lift be converted to a lollipop lift if the nipples are already high enough?

I had a benelli lift which was a disaster. I was left with horrible scarring, puckering skin, and misshapen areolas. I also dislike that I can feel the permanent suture underneath the skin and I have sensitivity and pain around the areola where the suture is. I want to have my benelli converted to a lollipop lift but I'm worried that my nipples will be too high because they're already quite high on my chest. Can the lift still be performed without lifting the nipples?

A Benelli or Circumareolar lift can be converted to a lollipop or anchor lift if the nipple position is already in an ideal position. This should improve the overall shape of your breasts and areolae. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Conversion

Yes a benelli can be converted to a vertical / anchor scar revision. It is probably best to let everything settle before considering this though. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

This type of lift can be converted to another more extensive lift.   There are several techniques that can be used to manipulate areolar positioning as the anatomy dictates.

Mastopexy Revision

I appreciate your question and I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. Please know that the mastopexy can be converted as well as scar revision  which it sounds like you need. It's best to be seen for an in person consultation to review the options.

Best of luck

Dr. Schwartz 

Beverly Hills board-certified plastic surgeon

Real Self top 100 surgeon

Real Self core surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, since you haven't provided any pictures, it will be better for you to get an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to check your breasts and evaluate you to see what kind of lift you will need.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Mastopexy

Yes, a Benelli lift can be converted to a lollipop lift and that would prevent your areolae from becoming too large.  How this is accomplished really depends on what your breasts are currently like.  It could be quite simple especially if your areolae are not excessively stretched out or if the nipple doesn't need to be moved much.  Otherwise it could be tricky and possible even require two stages.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Thank you for a very good question.  Many Benelli lifts can be converted to a lollipop type of scar.  But it’s hard to generalize how much improvement it is since each individual case is different.  Usually with a vertical lift, and that's a scar going from the bottom of the areola to the inframammary fold, the rippling around the areola can be removed and the areola even made smaller.  This is often necessary as well.  How much improvement though varies in each case a variable amount of skin was already removed from around the areola.  So the skin may already be too tight and not enable the revising surgeon to remove all of the puckering and make the areola as small as one would like.

You raise a very valid concern about nipples possibly getting larger.  When you think about it, in order to remove the rippling above your areola, that skin must be removed and therefore after closure the top of the areola will sit higher on top of the chest.  Usually, breast implants replaced at the time of the Benelli lift, there’s the option of larger implants or re-positioning the implants higher to make the nipples look a little lower.  Also, if there is considerable sag beneath the breast, that Benelli lifts can't help at all, use of a vertical lift could improve on that sag and give the appearance that the nipples are not as high.  I hope you find this information helpful.

Thomas Hubbard, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Yes, what you  describing is possible.  My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of experience of achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Working together you will come up with a plan to achieve an outcome that you are happier with. Best wishes.

Revision of a Breast Lift to a Lollipop Procedure

Revision of #breast lift #cosmeticsurgery may be needed for: asymmetry, continued ptosis, implant malposition, nipple position, as well as all of the other reasons needed for breast implant revision surgeon.

At times the #mastopexy will need to be changed from a periareola to a lollipop lift to get a more powerful lift. You can always check with your next chosen surgeon to see if the lift can be changed from a Benelli to a Lollipop lift.

A Benelli lift can be converted to a Lollipop incision (Vertical Mastopexy) without concern to the position of your nipple.  However, if your nipple is too high, you will need the bottom incision across the fold also.  A lollipop incision should give you a much better shape and better scars.   It is a true shaping lift, unlike the Benelli Lift which only has some skin tightening effect.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon