Is my belly button infected? (Photos)

I'm really worried, I feel like my belly button is getting worse. I've been cleaning it, changing the dressing and my doctor told me to put Bactrin. I feel like it's getting worse and the dressing keeps getting full of a liquid. Is it draining a good sign because it looks horrible to me. I wasn't even prescribed antibiotics.

Belly button is compromised

and if it continues to darken, you could lose part of it.  It makes for more difficult healing and if the wound is open as others have suggested, fluid will drain out.  You should see your surgeon for wound care instructions and on what to expect so you're educated and not worried about things that you cannot change.  If the drainage becomes purulent, packing may be needed.  In the end, you should recover better than you could imagine but you have to keep your surgeon in the loop.

Skin Separation

The incision line is separating, possibly due to extreme tension, poor circulation, or both. Your photos also demonstrate very red marks, indicative of a compression garment that is too tight. If a lot of liquid is coming out, you may have a seroma under your skin. Go visit your surgeon.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Is my belly button infected?

Thank you for your question and including photos. Unfortunately, a physical exam is really needed in order to determine what is going on and what needs to be done. A trip to your plastic surgeon is in order. Best wishes.

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Is my belly button infected?

Thank you for your question. Sometimes hard tell from pictures. You need to see your PS for evaluation for determination of cause. 

Thank you for the question and the photos but an examination is really needed to determine what is going on.  So see your surgeon or other expert in the area for an opinion.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD