BBL fat necrosis - Is fat necrosis less likely with less volume injected?

Is fat necrosis less likely with less volume injected? Or is it just surgeon dependent? I trust my doctor - but I only want about 400cc per cheek I would rather have to go back for a top up than end up with a ridiculous fake look

In general, that is probably a true a statement, but the procedure is very much technique dependent.

BBL loss can be associated wtih fat necrosis

If money is not a factor, you should consider two rather than one operation as it will definitely give you better results; How much fat can be injected in your buttocks cheek effectively is based on your buttocks size and buttocks skin redundancy. Please see link below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I have to say that fat necrossis development is not caused by the surgeon or mostly the patient, it is in most of the cases caused from a body reaction that our same body does to the fat, we will never know with anticipation if this will happen or not. You can start leaking some fat from your incision and is probable that your butt cheek get's smaller too. You can take antibiotics and the necrosis will go away in a few days. 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Preventing fat necrosis

The answer to your question is yes to a certain degree.

As long as each transferred fat particle is surrounded by live vascular tissue it has the potential for surviving long-term.

There are many factors that influence survival of fat.

Over grafting meaning the fat is stacked upon itself not allowing direct physical access contact with live vascular tissue Will decrease the percentage of fat that survives.

As a general statement or concept a single area can be doubled in volume of which approximately 50% of the fat will survive.

In other words any area of tissue that's 500 mL can't be grafted it went up to 500 mL of fat with an expected long-term 250 mL fence survival.

In my opinion 400 mL of fat is a very conservative amount.

Having multiple fat transfers can lead to a more precise and improved outcome but obviously requires multiple procedures.

It also requires that the plastic surgeon leave enough fat to allowing for future fat transfer procedures.

This can at times mean that the liposuction procedure is not done to completion.

I suggest trusting your doctors opinion after discussing what your concerns are is your best option.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD