How can I choose the right surgeon when I'm getting different advice? (Photo)

I am currently meeting consultants regarding a breast augumentation. I am 26, no children, 5ft 7, size 10 (uk) and almost no breast in particular under boob The 2 surgeons have so far given me completely different advice. 1st=320cc over the muscle - simple procedure - no problems. 2nd=no higher than 210cc - if I wanted bigger I would have to have an expander as well as having to cut the underboob tissue in 5parts for a fan shape to accommodate as I had slightly tubelour boobs. Help?

Differing opinions on approach to breast augmentation

A 320 cc implant above the pectoralis muscle will give you a very fake and obvious implant look. On the other hand you don't have to start with a tissue expander as for someone whose breast has been completely removed. You are just starting from a very low A cup size and your skin has never had to accommodate growth of breast tissue underneath. The critical thing here is in determining the correct width of the breast when it has little form on the medial or lateral side. If a round, smooth surface implant below the pectoralis muscle is matched to this breast width, at least the lowest forward profile or a middle profile implant could be used to gain a cup size or about 1 1/2 cup size increase. The other key is to use in incision where the inframammary crease is going to end up and control that level in the surgery. For larger breast sizes I would use this approach first and then after the tissues have accommodated the implant (at least three months), a larger implant could be exchanged to gain another 1/2 to 3/4 cup sizes rather than use a tissue expander.

Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant surgeon choice

You do not need an expander. I would recommend round smooth silicone gel (gummy bear) implants be placed under the muscle via the incision under the breast. The size and style depends on clinical examination and detailed measurements for biodimensional planning - probably around 300cc. In the UK make sure your surgeon has the FRCS (Plast) degree.

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Breast advice

You don't need an expander.  Your chest will easily accommodate a 325 cc implant.  210 cc's seems too small to me.  Also, I would place the implant under the muscle, not above.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

How can I choose the right surgeon when I'm getting different advice?

Thank you for the question and pictures. It is extremely common to receive different opinions from different plastic surgeons about the best way to treat a specific “problem”. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences. Their opinions may also be shaped by unfavorable results they have encountered in their practices. It is quite amazing how adamant each plastic surgeon can be about the superiority of his/her recommendations…
Although these different opinions can be confusing and a source of anxiety for patients, it is good for patients to understand the different options available. Ultimately, it will be up to each patient to do their due diligence and select their plastic surgeon carefully. Part of this selection process will involve the patients becoming comfortable with the plastic surgeon's experience level and abilities to achieve their goals as safely and complication free as possible. If I were you, I would ask to see as many examples as possible of similar patients who your plastic surgeons have helped with revisionary breast surgery. Sorry that I cannot be more specific when I comes to your specific situation. Best wishes.

Right procedure

Dear Gkimmy,

I have the best experience and result with anatomical implants put in a dual plane pocket in cases like yours. This will give you a natural look and the implants will be covered sufficiently in the upper pole by your breast muscle. I don't expect major problems with your skin elasticity as long as you don't go overboard with the implant size. Without having seen you live, any size between 260 to 325 cc should work fine.

Kind regards

Afschin Ghofrani, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Have each plastic surgeon show you how things would look by demonstrating with the implants they recommend. It is hard to tell from your pictures but I don't think you have tuberous breast. Regardless of size chosen I feel the implants should go under the muscle.  

Fred Suess, MD

Breast augmentation with shaped cohesive gel implants

Thank you for your question and posting appropriate pix. You seem to be a good candidate for shaped Sientra cohesive gel implants which are silicone implants placed under the muscle. This is particularly a good option for patients like yourself will have minimal breast tissue.  You would need to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon with expertise using these types of implants. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Seek more opinions

There is often no single best answer, and different surgeons can achieve nice results with different techniques. The best thing to do is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with, and look at photos of examples of the type of procedure they are proposing to see if you like the results. An examination would be the best way to determine an adequate volume of breast tissue for you. take care

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

It's not uncommon to get opposing opinions from when consulting with various plastic surgeons. The best option would be to continue your quest for the surgeon who you feel will meet your breast augmentation goals. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Thank you for your question and the best advice would be to go on more consults with experts in your area until you feel fully informed as to what is and what is not possible

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD