Can you augment the bridge of the nose on top of a medpor implant?

I got a medpor nose implant about a year ago, but wish for further bridge augmentation. Would that require the taking out of the implant or, because it has tissue ingrowth, can you augment on top of it?

Hi, I have performed many Rhinoplasty Surgeries over the past 30 years.  Because the medpore is incorporated into the nasal bone, in theory a cartilage dorsal graft could be placed on top of the implant for further augmentation however even then a shift of the upper implant might occur.Hope this helps.

Revision rhinoplasty after medpor implant.

You can augment the bridge after medpor implant with cartilage or tissue. I place antibiotic solution in the pocket and soak the new tissue in the same solution. See avery experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon who can show you natural results.

Augmenting the bridge of the nose

Hi there, thank you for your question. The short answer is: yes, you can further augment the bridge of the nose even if you already have an implant.There are several factors to considering further augmentation. You will want to decide if you would like to add to the existing implant or completely exchange it. Sometimes the best contour can be achieved with a single implant as it can be difficult to adequately layer implants. You could also consider exchange the implant for a natural material such as cartilage and fascia. To determine how much to augment, your surgeon will need to determine the quality of your skin to see if your bridge can be further expanded. One of the difficulties with Medpor is that the skin and soft tissue of the nose grow into the medpor implant making the dissection around it tedious, but it can be done. My recommendation is to seek consultation with rhinoplasty surgeons in your area.Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Augmenting Nasal Bridge on Top of Medpor Implamnt

You can augment the bridge n top of a Medpor implant as long as you've not had any problems with the implant such as recurring inflammation or infection. Your own tissue or a filler can be used depending on the amount of increased projection you desire. Pictures would be helpful.