Asian eyelid surgery, my eyes are very uneven. Is this normal at all? (Photo)

I had Asian double eyelid surgery on November 10th 2016 and today is November 28th . My eyes are still very very uneven , it was uneven since I got out of surgery . I like my right eye , but left eye look horrible , waterline is showing and eyelash is flipping up really high , crease is much higher on left as well , my doctor said because my left eye was lower than right eye before , so more fat and skin were taken out on left , so it appears more swollen. I m worried if I need revision later on

Asymmetry after Asian blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Early asymmetry is very common due to asymmetric swelling or differential use of local anesthetic on each eyelid during surgery.  It's too early to tell if you'd need a revision or not.  Revision earlier than 6 months is not recommended because the post-operative period after eyelid surgery is a very dynamic process and it may take 4-6 months to see the final outcome.  Just make sure you follow up with your surgeon and discuss with him/her your concerns.  Good luck!

Mission Viejo Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Asian eyelid surgery and possible revision

Thank you for the photos. The healing process for you does appear a little dramatic but all aspects of your eyelid surgery will improve. However, it does remain to be seen how much it will improve. Without knowing the details of your surgery everything I say is speculative so take it with a grain of salt and follow-up with your surgeon closely as well as getting additional opinions if you feel you need to. I myself have had many patients who looked an even during healing process for a few weeks and in some cases months particularly when their eyes were uneven to start with and I perform the surgery on the two sides a little differently.  I realize it's stressful but be patient and I would get a follow up with your surgeon sooner than later and possibly a second opinion.  I revise approximately 2% of my own surgeries and fortunately they almost always minor touchups so the reality of a revision is always there.  I find that revisions and touch up surgeries patients tend to heal in some ways a little faster in the first two weeks but they do sometimes have to be more patient with their final result in a revision Asian eyelid surgery situation.

Don't be too discouraged yet and make sure you get the information you need from here surgeon.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Asian eyelid surgery

Post op asymmetry is most commonly due to unrecognized and untreated preoperative asymmetries, usually related to an unsymmetric weakness of the eye muscles (ptosis). The problem looks worse during swelling and then improves over several months, sometimes many months. I would recommend close communications with your surgeon until the problem is resolved, usually by waiting it out. The lash eversion that you're referring to may resolve as the swelling goes away, unless the surgeon used a more aggressive technique to clear out that area as part of the crease operations. I would have a discussion with your surgeon on this matter as well.

Asian Eyelid Surgery

The photo taken right after surgery showed more swelling and bruising on the left side.  This could contribute to the asymmetry.  You are still in the early stage of recovery so the asymmetry is going to be more noticeable.  As the tissue recovers, the eyelid crease will appear lower and less Caucasoid.