What's going on with my areola incisions? (Photo)

I done breast augmentation 7 month ago, my incision didn't get better,it's still red,big and itching. also very hard. My PS said wait until 1 year, but u just don't see any improvements. And I want my breast do not look scary. It's even look worse with time.(photos) Please advise!

Breast Augmentation with Areola Incisions

It looks like you unfortunately developed hypertrophic scars - these are thick scars. There are many treatments to improve the scars - you can have steroid injections (Kenalog) to decrease the scar tissue. This may help with the itching as well. Microneedling can improve hypertrophic scars and the use of PRP (platelet-rich plasma) may improve the scar faster. Silicone sheets also help flatten thick scars and can help with the itching also. Best wishes!

Scarring Issue

Your scars appear hypertophic/raised. Silicone application, steroid injection, microneedling and surgical revision may be possible options. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about next steps to minimize the appearance of your scars.

Take care

Periareolar scars

Periareolar scars can widened and get raised, and if you are dissatisfied with your scar you may be a candidate for scar revision which sometimes can be performed under local in the office. Check with your board certified plastic surgeon. Some will wait between 6 months to a year before scar revision surgery. Best, MMT

Poor scarring

Hello and thank you for your question.  I empathize with your situation.  In many people, the peri-areolar scars can be well-hidden, but in cases like yours where they become red and thick, they are quite noticeable as the nipple-areola complex lies in the center of the breast. I prefer the inframammary crease incision whenever possible for this reason and also to help decrease the incidence of capsular contracture. Since your scars are more than 6 months old, your best bang for the buck is to seek scar revision with a board certified plastic surgeon.  You could also be placed on scar control therapy or silicone taping post-op to help improve the quality of your scar. I am sorry for your situation but I hope this helps to guide your future decisions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Unacceptable Incisions

Your incisions need revision. You do not need to wait a year. Go visit the many surgeons in your area for a second opinion.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Not happy with peri-aroelar scars

You should be a learning lesson for all women who are desiring breast augmentation and are trying to decide on the appropriate approach; the unfortunate thing about the perioarolar incision is that:
1)cannot be hidden if you scar poorly
2cannot be treated if you scar poorly without causing change of the areola
3)associated with glandular distortion
4)a/w nipple areola insensitivity
5)cannot be used again in revision surgery
6)may get mastitis during breast feeding

Please note that the inframammary fold incision is the most effective, and time tested approach and my preferred route of implant insertion.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Areolar scars

Your areolar scars are not unusual when the augmentation is done with this approach. This is why a axaillary approach is more ideal.  However, your scars can be revised for a better appearance, and this would be a good time to do it.

Hypertrophic scarring

It appears you have developed abnormally thickened or what we call hypertrophic scars. Steroid injections or taping may flatten the scars and make them feel less itchy but they will still be wide and noticeable. 
In this situation I have found it best to perform a scar revision (excise your old scars and redo them again), use a different type of suture material, and inject steroids into the new scar within the first few weeks and usually this will take care of the problem and your new scars will look much improved. Discuss this with your surgeon of course.
I hope this information helps.
Thomas Taylor, MD, FACS
Pasadena, CA

Scarring after breast augmentation

I would suggest waiting a year as well before doing anything invasive, meaning removing the scar and revising it.  In the meantime, silicone strips can be very helpful for reducing the itching and flattening the scar.  Steroid injections can also be helpful for a raised and hard scar.  I would revisit your plastic surgeon and ask him/her if there are any suggestions of what you could do now.

Melissa Doft, MD

What's going on with my areola incisions?

You need an exam by your surgeon. You may have an allergic response to suture material if itching and redness is occurring. However there are other inflammatory condition that must be ruled out. A biopsy may be needed.