Does taking antidepressants/anxiolytic medication interfere with cosmetic surgery?

I've been put on Effexor to help with anxiety for the next couple of months. I plan on having a BA later this year. Would this affect my eligibility for surgery or my recovery after?

Antidepressant/Anxiolytic Medication and Cosmetic Surgery

Thank you for you question.

Being treated with Effexor will not affect your eligibility for breast augmentation surgery nor your post-surgical recovery.

Be sure that you are tolerating your medication well and discuss all medications that you are taking with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as well as your anesthesiologist prior to your surgery. Effexor is a "Selective Serotonin Re-Uptake Inhibitor". These medications should be taken up to and including the day of surgery. (Some anesthesiologists may want you to skip the dose the day of your surgery.)

Best of luck with your breast augmentation surgery!

Troy Plastic Surgeon

Medications interfering with surgery

In theory, no, the use of Effexor should not limit your eligibility for surgery.However, you will need to be careful about the medications you take for pain after your surgery, as combining different types of medications can have a serious impact on your day-to-day life.Be sure to be honest with your surgeon about all of the current medications you are taking so he or she can monitor you carefully and ensure that there are no additional risk of complications.

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Effexor and eligibility having surgery

Thank you for your question.The Effexor will not affect your eligibility for having surgery.The only note is that there will have to be extra caution when prescribing your postoperative pain medications, as in, not to combine a lot of pain medications together because of how it effects your level of consciousness, ability to drive, and so forth in conjunction with your Effexor.Just be sure to mention all your current medications to your surgeon and he/she will make sure everything is within the normal range and can make adjustments at that time.I hope this helps and best of luck with your surgery!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Usually not, but you have to review all of your medical history.
Please check in with a board certified plastic surgeon and review your history.
All the best.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Effexor and cosmetic surgery

Thank you for your question. Your board certified plastic surgeon will go over your medical history as well as discuss your list of medications and what to continue/discontinue prior to surgery during your consult. Effexor should have no contraindication with your going forward with surgery. It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic
surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael
Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic
surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Ask your surgeon

You should check with your surgeon and let him/her know that you are on antidepressants. 
You surgeon will be able to advise you on your surgery and recovery. 

Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

During your consultations, your surgeon will go over your medical history as well as discuss your list of medications and what to continue/discontinue prior to surgery.  Effexor it should have no contraindication with your going forward with surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Medication: Information

Dear Ms. bananas114,
Thank you for your information and questions.

The anxiolytics you describe are quite common and not a contraindication to surgery.

I recommend that you make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who hopefully review your past medical history, medication list and perform a exam.

In addition make sure they are Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Effexor and cosmetic surgery

There is no contraindication to cosmetic surgery when taking Effexor. There should be no physical effect on your ability to heal. As with any medication, you should discuss any medication change with both your prescribing physician and your plastic surgeon to make sure there are safe to take. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Anxiolytics and antidepressants

Typically, these medications are not a problem, but you have to check the Medications to Avoid sheet which is an extensive list that I cannot list off for you. Please contact our office for a comprehensive list. Please see link below for examples of breast augmentation and take advantage of our INSPIRA implant giveaway.

Arian Mowlavi, MD