Does the alignment of your teeth at a young age determine the shape and growth of your jaw through puberty?

I had a crossbite as a young child and I didn't get braces until the age of 13. I am an asian male at 23 years of age and I have very wide jaw and cheekbone. Was this because of the crossbite that I had a young age? Or is this due to genetics from my parents?

Does Teeth Position Affect Jaw Bone Growth?

This is a very astute question. Typically, the average Asian jaws are broader than those of average Caucasians. However, there are many other factors that can adversely affect the growth and development of the upper and lower jaws. For example: over use of a pacifier as a baby, thumb sucking habit, allergies, improper tongue position, too soft of a diet, etc.

I hope this helps. You can visit my website for additional information.

Good luck!