Will I have access to implants from all 3 brands?

Will most surgeons have inventory from all three brands or are they focused on one? Will I ever run the risk of not having access to a certain brand? How many months of breast implant stock do surgeons tend to order and/or have on hand? Thanks

The reality

The reality is that excellent outcomes are possible with the products supplied by all three manufacturers available in the U.S. - Mentor (owned by Johnson&Johnson), Allergan (marketed as Natrelle), and Silimed (marketed as Sientra).  Beyond that, there are many nuances related to the implant shell, fill, texturing, firmness.  A good surgeon will guide you through all this, then make some reasonable recommendations.
Outside of perhaps a large surgery center or hospital it is financially irresponsible to have large consignments from each manufacturer available as it is a redundant waste of money and space.

Sientra implants are currently only available from past Sientra Plastic Surgeons

Since Sientra came back on the market in March 2016, until implant manufacturing is resumed, due to limited inventory, Sientra implants are currently only available to plastic surgeons who have previously used Sientra.  I use all three brands of implants in my practice, but we are the only plastic surgery office in the Upstate NY, Capital District area providing Sientra brand implants.  I consider Sientra the best form stable or "gummy bear" type implants available on the market in the USA.  I encourage all women considering breast implants to consult with me to find out why.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants

Thank you for your question about Sientra Breast Implants.

Personally, I think it is limiting for a plastic surgeon to limit herself or himself to only one breast implant company.  That is why I have access to and use breast implants from all three major companies.

Listed alphabetically,

1. Allergan aka Natrelle
  2. Mentor
  3. Sientra aka Silimed

To be sure which might be right for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Implant Brands

While there are three breast implant companies most surgeons will use only one brand. There are a lot of reasons for this but generally it revolves around the surgeon’s relationship with the company and how they feel about a particular brand. When it comes to the gummy bear implants that many surgeons and most patients have gravitated to, there are small differences that make one brand preferable over another in each surgeon’s eyes. For me, the medical research literature clearly demonstrates a lower complication rate with Sientra implants, especially for capsule contracture and therefore Sientra implants are the principle implant that I use.

Some surgeons carry an inventory but in my practice we use a tissue/dimension based system in which the patient has a big role in deciding the implant size beforehand. As a result, no inventory is required. Implants are ordered per individual or pre case.

I have added a video and web reference for more information for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. All board certified plastic surgeons have access to Natrelle, Mentor, and Sientra implants. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Sientra, Mentor, and Allergan implants available

Sientra implants are available but on a limited basis. However, many surgeons choose to go primarily with one brand especially if they carry a consignment inventory on site. if you have a strong preference for Sientra, ask when you call for consultation.

Richard Baxter, MD

Will I have access to all 3 brands?

While I think Sientra is the best brand currently on the market, not all plastic surgeons currently have access to ordering them due to supply restrictions.  You can check with your surgeon first to make sure he/she has access to Sientra as well as the other 2 manufacturers.  Most surgeons have accounts with all 3 manufacturers so you can likely have any brand you want.  Keep in mind, that Sientra will only sell to board eligible or board certified plastic surgeons, so if your surgeon does have access to them, you can rest assured that he or she has the proper plastic surgical training. As far as having "stock" in the office, some surgeons will have an implant consignment in the office with many different shapes and sizes, and others, like myself, custom order the implants for each specific patient.  Best of luck with your surgery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon