Is it safe to wear an abdominal binder with corset on top? (Photo)

I had bbl surgery 1 week ago. By doctors order I am to wear and abdominal binder with foam padding. I don't want to wear to wear the foam padding because it makes me look pregnant. I was explained by the doctor that the foam padding was for extra compression. So I figured to compensate for not wearing the foam padding I added on top of the abdominal binder a corset/waist cincher. My question is if it's okay for me to be wearing the abdominal binder with the waist cincher? In advice thank you.

Postoperative Garments -- Protection/Purpose

My professional advice as a physician who has experienced many postoperative irregularities due to irresponsibility from patients not following physicians protocol is to follow the garment wear recommended by your physician who performed the procedure. Post-op irregularities may include- numbness, Hematomas, infections, Fibrosis, Fat Necrosis, Fat Calcification, Skin Necroses and Erythema. Please call your physician immediately for an immediate postoperative follow up appointment. 

Best Regards,

Dr. Haworth

Following Instructions After Surgery

No, it's not. That's not what your surgeon directed you to do. Follow your plastic surgeon's instructions. Foam padding is not the same thing as a corset. Foam distributes the compression more evenly. You trusted your plastic surgeon with your body. You should continue to trust his/her specific postoperative instructions.  Looking "pregnant" for a few weeks beats looking pregnant forever by not following instructions. S/he is the surgeon. You are not. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Is it safe to wear an abdominal binder with corset on top?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. It is not good for your body and your shape, if you just had surgery done, the garment use is crucial to shape your body and also reduces swelling, a corset or waist cincher will only compress one part of the body, making the liquid to go where you don't have surgery or lipo.. And you will be completely swollen up ..

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

It is important to follow your surgeon's instructions.  The recommendation was tailored to your unique case.  Therefore, you should discuss your concern with your surgeon. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Can I wear a corset after BBL instead of compression garments

I recommend that you follow the instructions of your surgeon to avoid complications. We are very strict about wearing compression garments after undergoing large volume liposuction to help reduce long term swelling & reduce the risk of seroma. A corset does not substitute as a compression garment as it does not provide compression in the right areas. After undergoing extensive surgery, it is best that you follow the postoperative instructions given by your surgeon and be patient for results (even if you look larger with the foam compression). It will not be worth having a complication. Good luck 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 

Sejal M. Patel, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Compression

Thank you for your question and photo. Every doctor has their own protocol for care after surgery, which is usually best to follow. Foam under the binder provides uniform compression to help your swelling go down faster. The corset you describe likely will not hurt anything, but it is always best to check with your surgeon first. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

A Corset Versus Reston Foam After BBL

There is probably not that much harm in wearing the corset you describe, but reston foam probably will do a better job in keeping the skin of the suctioned area smooth and reduce wrinkling.  It is always best to check with your plastic surgeon directly to see what he recommends.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS