Am I a good Tummy Tuck candidate? (Photo)

I'm a 29 year old female. Lost 60 lbs naturally, but my tummy won't go away. I dont have any children, I want them in the future. I've wanted a tummy tuck for the longest. Id rather get it done sooner than later, and risk having children after I get my tummy tuck. Any advice would be helpful.

Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

Thank you for the photos and questions and congratulations on the weight loss. You appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. You would be a great candidate if you achieve a stable target weight prior to having a tummy tuck as weight changes after the operation will compromise the result. If you want to lose more weight then please take care of this before having the surgery. Weight loss after the tummy tuck will leave you with loose skin because you have lots of stretch marks that result in poor skin elasticity. Fat volume decreases with weight loss but the skin will not tighten. Having children after the tummy tuck will likely necessitate revising or re-doing the tummy tuck but I understand that many women want to look as good as possible sooner than later. Good luck!

Draper Plastic Surgeon

What To Do After Significant Weight Loss

Thank you for your photos and congratulations on your weight loss!
Unfortunately, you don't lose skin when you lose weight, so you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. I would also recommend liposuction of your love handles and bra line at the same time to further contour your figure. These procedures do not put you at risk for having children, but your results may change from pregnancy. My patients have rarely needed a second tummy tuck after having children, but you need to remember that the possibility is there.

Tummy tuck

Congratulation on the weight loss.  You are an awesome candidate for a tummy tuck with skin work only.  No muscle work especially if you haven't had children yet.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

You are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction.  However, if your plans are to have a child within a year, I would wait on the tummy tuck.  But, if you have a few years before having children, --- go for it!

Tummy Tuck

You appear to be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty. You have a lot of extra skin that won't go away with diet and exercise. I agree, if you are not having children right away, you would benefit from having the procedure first. This would not put you or your fetus at risk, but having children after an abdominoplasty may affect your results, and some people choose to have a revision after children. 

Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform them all the time. Choose a surgeon that does the most modern, least risk tummy tuck with progressive tension sutures and without the use of drains.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss

Judging by your photos, you would be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty procedure.  The procedure would help remove the excess skin and fat in your abdominal area as well as help reduce the bulging.

The key is to be at a stable weight prior to your procedure.  As far as pregnancy goes, a tummy tuck does not interfere with that, but you will end up stretching the skin and may alter your result.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Am I a good Tummy Tuck candidate?

Thank you for the question and pictures. You will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck (standard or extended) surgery; definitive advice however would necessitate much more information. Best to do this operation when you are at your long-term stable weight, if you are not there already. Doing so will help improve the outcome of the procedure and minimize chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Although safe pregnancy after tummy tuck surgery  is possible, pregnancy after tummy tuck surgery may cause CHANGES that MAY require further surgery to correct. Ultimately, especially in situations like yours, timing of tummy tuck surgery will be a very personal decision that can only made after careful consideration of pros and cons associated with each option.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

TT and circumferetial liposuction

Based on your photos aggressive liposuction of abdomen, flanks and back as well as abdominoplasty (TT) would be your best choice. There should be no difficulties with future pregnancies.

You should consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area for detailed clinical evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your submitted photos, if you are in good health, you appears to be a fgood candidate for a full tummy tuck proceudre to produce beautiful overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be further valuated, discuss your options, address your goals and concerns then work together to build a surgical plan that best helps you achieve your overall desired look.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Tummy tuck after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss.  You appear to have loose skin which makes you a good candidate for a tummy tuck (instead of liposuction). You can certainly become pregnant after a tummy tuck with no harm to the baby. Just keep in mind that the pregnancy could stretch the skin and affect your final cosmetic outcome. Consult with a few plastic surgeons for an exam in person to review your options.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD