9 wks post op asymmetry to the inframammary folds and implant descending below the crease on one side,is revision needed?(photo)

Went from a B to 30DDD with 450 cc silicone implants through inframammary incision. At 9 wks out noticing that right breast fold is drooping lower than the left and with pressure the implant descends past the fold in like a 2 cm segment at the bottom of the crease. The left implant doesn't do this. Know some asymmetry is expected but is this bottoming out and will revision be needed or can this correct itself with time and splinting of the crease with tape?

Revision

it is too early to tell at this stage but if a revision is needed it would be a simple procedure to tuck the lower fold in more - wait 3-4 months before deciding

Asymmetry Post Op

I recommend that you support the implants in place for another few months and refrain from pressing down. Your implants may be too lareg and you may require a revision at some point but it is too soon to know. You should let your Plastic Surgeon know about your concerns and advise you further.

All the best 

Breast Asymmetry

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. I suggest waiting another three to six months for the swelling to subside. Generally it would take around that time for the healing of the breasts. From the pictures provided, you are swelling tremendously so I cannot give you a definite answer. Regardless, I recommend speaking with your surgeon if you are healing well. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Lower right breast crease 9 weeks after aug

Thanks for your question. It is completely understandable that you are a bit concerned at this point. My advice is to give it a little more time. A conservative thing to try is to wear supportive bras to take the weight of your implants off the breast crease. If this doesn't solve the problem, you may need a revisionsl surgery called  Capsulorrhaphy. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Breast Asymmetry

The decision to move forward with a revision surgery should be determined in another 3 or 4 months, after adequate healing. It really depends on your degree of dissatisfaction.  For an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specialize in revision breast surgery, it would most likely be a successful surgery to reshape and tighten (capsulorrhaphy) the lateral and infero-lateral portions of the inframammary fold. Additionally, a small amount of capsular opening (capsulotomy) might be beneficial in the medial portion of the inframammary fold as well. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant descending below the IMF

Usually, the problem of implants descending below the IMF, often soon after surgery, is that the implant is too large.  There is simply no other physical option other than to malposition below the IMF.  The roof of the pocket is the pectoral muscle, which pushes down and out on the implant.  

ven dermal matrix products and capsular reefing techniques will not prevent this from happening.

Many patients don't want to hear that their implants are too large, but many are relieved to hear their is a solution to their often multiply recurrent redo surgeries.  

Brent Moelleken, MD