445 or 450 cc or smaller? (Photo)

I am getting breast augmentation here in a month. I keep asking myself should I do smaller than 445cc I am 5'2" 125 lbs and have an athletic build with a wide chest cavity. I have always wanted breasts so I can achieve cleavage do you think I should go 450cc 445cc or smaller I just don't want to go to big or look top heavy but I also don't want to go too small. I would rather go bigger if I am gonna achieve cleavage

450cc or smaller

Based on your dimensions a 450cc implant will make you quite full.  Since you said you would rather go bigger, than this size might work quite well for you.  However, only a PS who is examining you can best go over size with you.  I would make sure you discuss this with an experienced PS.

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

445-450 cc?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

445 or 450 cc or smaller?

Thanks for including good photos with your question. You will get the best results by showing your surgeon preop and post op photos of patients with your general preop look and with the post op look you want. He will take measurements of your chest to determine what size range of implants will fit best inside your torso and then during surgery use intraoperative sizers to determine which of the implants looks the best in you in keeping with your goal. None of us can give you specific measurements without going through this process. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

450 cc Breast Implants?

From your height and weight dimensions it is my impression that 450 ccs will possibly be larger than you seek. There is a tradeoff in terms of cleavage and breast implant volume however 450 is well above the average sized implant that I would plan to use for a patient of your size.  Optimal cleavage is created and aided by the use of a brassiere for support and not simply by placement of a wide or large implant.

Discuss your goals realistically with your surgeon since this is the best time to make the right choice.  Please watch the video above for additional helpful information.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

3-d simulation

Thank you for your question. In my practice I  use the Vectra 3-D imaging system for all of my breast augmentation patients to evaluate the breast and pick the perfect size for the patient using a real simulation with sizes on your own frame and body. I highly recommend that you seek out a board-certified plastic  surgeon with this type of technology so you can see what size looks best on your frame. I look forward to meeting you and best of luck and happy holidays.

445 or 450 cc or smaller?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

445 or 450 cc or smaller?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “too big” or "top heavy" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Natural result for athletic frame

Thanks for the great question and the photos. With you being 5'2" and 125lbs a 450cc implant is going to give you large breasts. I take a lot of measurements when seeing patients so that I am able to give them a few implant size options which will still give them a large, but natural result. Your nipples are already wide on your chest well and with large implant they will appear to be even further apart. Cleavage isn't really achieved by large implants, but instead is from wearing a bra which is able to push the breasts closer together. If there is someone in your area with a Vectra imaging system, I might go see them to see what you simulated results would look like with a 450cc implant. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Too big or too small

I am assuming that you already had a consultation and the surgeon gave you the implant size option of 450 cc? If so, then they must have done some breast measurements to determine a range of implant sizes that would be suitable for your body type.

If you want you can request bra-sizing trials with the bra of your choice to finalize the size you want as long as it is in the acceptable boundaries.

Please note that we want to achieve long-term aesthetic results, and so we should not go too big or too small as you already affirmed.

That being said, the implant size has to fit your body dimensions. The more you deviate from the proper fit, the more fake your breasts will look. Your surgeon may have used tissue-based planning to determine the implant size. The planning takes into account the effects of implants on tissues over time, risks of excessive stretch, excessive thinning, visible or palpable implant edges, visible traction rippling, ptosis (sagging), and breast tissue wasting.  

To determine the final implant size, breast measurements such as breast base width, breast skin stretch, and nipple-to-inframammary fold distance. The combination of these measurements will help determined tissue coverage and the required implant volume to optimally fill the breasts. Without this information, we cannot be of much help.

Also please note that to get cleavage you may have to get a profile that is on the lower end of the spectrum compared to the higher end since cleavages form better with wider implants.

As such, please share all your motivations for surgery, your concerns, your expectations and goals with complete honesty and clarity. This will help prevent post-operative concerns/regrets. If you trust your surgeon and their judgment and the decision-making method used to choose the implant size, then you should be in good hands.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD