$43,000 for a breast revision? (photos)

I had my original mentor smooth silicone 375 implants put in 2 years ago. Last November I was in an MVA which affected my right breast. My original surgeon said nothing was wrong, and if anything my right breast is my good breast, because there is no cap. Cont. I had a second opinion who said it tore my pocket, split the capsule and is misplaced. He quoted me for 43,000... Does that seem right?

Breast Aug Revision Price

That price seems very high.

In addition, Mentor may have a warranty on the implants if there is damage to the implant itself.  

As always, more opinions can be helpful.

$43,000 Revision

Good evening,

That is a pretty outrageous figure, maybe it involves taking advantage of some insurance settlement or something like that. I do lots and lots of revisions, 6-8 every week, and as long as Strattice or other acellular dermal matrix is not required, the cost rarely exceeds $10,000 and is often lower. You do need some pocket work, and some new implants, but not nearly that cost- someone is trying to take advantage.

Hope this helps!

Revision surgery should not cost anything near this price

Often it is not the best approach to find the cheapest plastic surgeon, but $43,000 is not even close to reasonable.  It is userous. Does the surgeon specialize in this procedure? What are their credentials? How long have they been in practice? What percentage of their practice is cosmetic surgery? How many of these surgeries have they performed? Do they use the latest techniques? What do their results look like? Do they have photos to show of their work? Do they provide follow-up themselves, or will you only see the nurses (or even just an assistant)? Are they available by phone for an emergency or does one of their staff answer after-hour calls? What is the impression you get from their office and staff? Are they professional and informative? Do they know what they are talking about? You need to ask yourself all of these questions.

When comparing quotes from different doctors, check to make sure that the costs you are quoted are for the same thing! Check to see what type of anesthesia and facility you are going to be treated in. If the total price is lower but you are not going to receive proper anesthesia from a board certified anesthesiologist, then are you getting a better deal (or inferior treatment)? If the facility is not a certified outpatient surgery center but is an in-office procedure room, is the difference in safety worth the cost reduction? If the doctor is not a board certified plastic surgeon, is that worth the discount in the fees? I would say the answer to all three of these questions is no!

Assuming you are talking about a board certified plastic surgeon with plenty of experience in breast implant revision, you need to find someone who you trust. This is your body, make sure you are making decisions based on the quality of care, the experience and training of the doctor, and proven results! Cost alone should not be the deciding factor.

The prices can vary from state to state, and from city to city. Our costs, including the board certified plastic surgeon's fees, board certified anesthesiologist's fees, operating room, silicone implants, labs, scar gel, vitamins, and follow-up at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and every year after that forever, are around $9600. If you need more follow-up appointments, those are free as well.

Cheaper to visit Australia and have a holiday for 1 month as well as revisional surgery.

I'm very sorry that you have been given a quote so outrageous as $43,000. If necessary you would remove and replace both implants. To be sure the accident did not rupture both implants you would require a MRI to be given a far more accurate diagnosis. I have seen capsular hardening appear quite often after a MVA. And also ruptured implants. Though this is not dangerous to have a ruptured implant l would suggest getting it repaired sooner rather than later.

My advice would be to spend a little more on seeking the opinion of a skilled plastic surgeon in your area. And do not under any circumstance accept a quote as high as that.
Good Luck

Benjamin Norris, MbCHb, FRACS(Plast)
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Right breast bottoming out and lateralized

You are correct that the right breast capsule must have ruptured which resulted in buttoming out and lateralization of your breast implant. This can be easily corrected at less than 1/3rd of the price quoted (including operating room, anesthesia, surgeons fee, implants, ADM, etc.). Please consider another reasonably priced surgeon. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Lateral and inferior malposition

You have a very simple and straight forward problem of implant malposition. There are many qualified surgeons who can and will fix your issue at a substantially less price. Be smart and do your homework. Find a surgeon in your area that specializes in revisionary breast surgery.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

$43,000 for a breast revision?

No, the quote you have received is not reasonable. Seek additional consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery. You will likely find the costs much lower. Best wishes.

$43,000 For a Breast Revision??

From the photos the right side appears to be displaced, but not $43,000 worth.  Consult with other board certified plastic surgeons for reasonable opinions.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

$43,000 for a Breast Implant Revision?

That is an eye-popping figure. Hard to imagine how someone could come up with a number that high. 

Your right implant is certainly not right. It looks quite a bit bigger than your left breast. Were they closer is size before the accident. If the answer is yes then I would be concerned that there is something more going on than just malposition. Has anyone looked into whether your implant may have ruptured. 

Are you also suggesting that you have capsular contracture on the left side? If so, is that problem being addressed as well?

Sounds to me like you should seek at least one more opinion from someone experienced in doing complicated breast revision surgery. 

Breast revision

I can't see spending $43,000 for a revision in your situation.  Get other, more reasonable opinions.  What does the surgeon plan to do for that much money anyway?   I don't get it.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD