4 days post op liposculpture - can my dog bring bacteria to my incisions?

I'm extremely paranoid of infection and I'm wondering if I can take care of my dog while healing? She isn't sick but just wondering. It may sound like a dumb question but I have bad luck...

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Your dog will not infect your liposuction

After liposuction surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. You would need full time help with your children for that first week. At that point we take out the stitches and the patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start low impact cardio. At two months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. The compression garment is worn for at least 6 weeks.

Dr Derby

It is best to avoid the contact as much as possible for the first 3 weeks -4 weeks after. Also do not try to lift the dog or have it sit on your lap. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Pet care after liposuction

As a general rule, avoid or at least minimize contact with possible sources of infection, including pets, for at least three weeks.

Of course, being in your best health can further minimize risk of complications. 

I hope that helps and good luck.

Lipo post op care

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to discuss any questions or concerns you may have related to your particular recovery expeirence with your operating physician first.  That being said, in our practice we advise patients to keep pets out of the bed and bedroom and also refrain from picking up their pets for at least 3 weeks after surgery.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Dogs and Liposuction

Liposculpsure can increase infection risk with any contacts I suggest avoiding any major contacts in the treatment areas for 2-4 weeks.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.