Got .3cc Restylane injected today-- it doesn't look like enough. How soon can I go back for more?

Hi, Today I got Restylane injected into my nose to reduce the appearance of my nose hump. I can still see the hump (and it's not due to swelling, as the reystlane was injected above the hump), and I don't think enough was put in. In fact, I think it could use quite a bit more. How soon can I go back for more?

Swelling after non-surgical nosejob

Thank you for your question curiouscl. The non-surgical nosejob uses a filler such as Restylane, Juvederm, Voluma, or Radiesse to contour the nose. It is perfect for those with an unwanted hump. The filler may be injected above and below the hump. In this way the hump is less apparent or no longer apparent at all. Usually a small amount of filler is used (less than 0.5 cc) but this various from person to person. After any injection there is swelling in the area which can spread to nearby structures and make the nearby structures appear larger. In our office we have our patients return to the office two weeks after a treatment. At that time we take photographs and compare them with the before photographs to assess the result and determine if more is required. Please speak with your doctor for specific recommendations and keep us updated. Good luck!

Encino Physician

When to touch up Filler

Hi and thank you for your question!

We normally tell our patients to wait 2 weeks before returning for touch ups of filler. This allows all the swelling to settle and we know what the final result is before adding any additional.

Please feel free to call our office for questions.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Never too soon, but 2 weeks is better

You can add more filler to the area if the area that was injected still appears to lack enough volume.  As a rule, I will add filler the first time to the point of correction.  Often, by the time the patient has driven home and looked in the mirror, swelling will have begun and the area will appear over-corrected.  In this case, I encourage them to wait at least 2 weeks before we make any decisions, as you do not want to "correct" what was only temporary swelling.  In your case, you state that you don't feel enough volume was added initially.  You can certainly have more added at any time, however, it would probably be best to wait the two weeks and then add more to the area.  Work with you injector by making sure you see the results you want before you leave the office.  All fillers, except Sculptra, should give you immediate results that you can see in a mirror.

Restylane and unhappy with results

You can always add more anytime after injection, however if you have swelling it is best to wait a few weeks.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hello Curiouscl,

There is no minimum time required to get more injected.  However, the swelling that occurs with the initial injection can affect the way the tissue appears, making the subsequent injection a little more difficult.  Because of this, it is usually advised to wait about 10-14 days before getting a touch up.  In your case, since the area injected was above the area of your concern, you may be able to get your touch up sooner.  

I'd recommend you contact your physicain injector to discuss your concerns and see when he or she feels is the best time for your touch up.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane repeat injection

In actuality you can go back immediately for more. I am not sure what you are having injected but it sounds like Radiesse may be a better filler than Restylane here

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Waiting after injection

Great question.  It is best to wait a week to ten days before getting more filler added.  The reason for that is two-fold.  First, it takes about that long for the product to settle, and secondly, you will get some added swelling the first two days after injecting the product and we need for that to settle down.  It is likely that you may need some more product - its always better to go slow and add than have to try and dissolve product with hyaluronidase.  Long story short, give it a few more days before you make a decision.  Good luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not enough Restylane injected

Thank you for sharing your question. It is best to wait a week before having additional Restylane injected. You might see some increase volume over the week. The area injected with Restylane might also swell up and this would give you an idea what it would look like with additional product injected.
Good luck,