3 days post-op, post-capsulectomy: Can I honestly expect my breasts to assume a normal shape? Currently horrified. (Photo)

10mo ago I got 255cc subglandular & LOVED them. They were dropped, round, soft, hung like real breasts. 4mo in, left breast got encapsulated. I had a revision 3 days ago: switched to submuscular, 250cc (per my request) w/ a slightly lower profile, used strattice. I'm 4 days post op. I know I'm still swollen & my pecs are v tight (I'm a climber) but I'm HORRIFIED. My PS told me to expect some "upper pole fullness" (hence the lower profile) but I HATE this. What can I reasonably expect??

You had tough choices

but by going under the muscle, your chest muscles are weaker and climbing will be more challenging.  Ask your surgeon for advice on how to get your upper poles to flatten a little.  Time will also help but positioning of your implants and Strattice will impact where your implants end up settling.  So best to follow your surgeon's instructions and you should be able to contact him/her whenver you have concerns.

Immediate Post Operative Results

You are still very early in your healing phase, and your muscle and Strattice is 'squishing' the implants (medical term), filling the upper poles with gel.  In six months you should regain your soft upper pole again, or at least be on your way to that final appearance. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

3 days post-op, post-capsulectomy: Can I honestly expect my breasts to assume a normal shape?

I am sorry to hear about the complication you experienced. Based on your description of your situation and the operation performed, you have undergone the appropriate operation.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result.  

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including  revisionary breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource for more specific assessment, advice, and/or meaningful prediction/reassurance.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.