I'm 245lb and 1.3 high do I qualify for liposuction?

245lb and 1.3 high do I qualify for liposuction and if my skin is to flacid is needed to be removed or is going to retract and how much fat can be removed

High BMI and liposuction

Patients who have liposuction at a high BMI have not addressed their problem:  their excessive weight.  Liposuction is best for reducing problem areas, not for reducing overall weight.

Almost uniformly, they do poorly and end up gaining more weight and a few divots with each subsequent liposuction procedure, not to mention the risk of having surgery at an unsafe weight.

For patients already noticing looseness in the skin, the prognosis becomes even worse having liposuction alone.

Yes, but other treatments may work better...

Although liposuction is a contouring procedure, it is not typically associated with dramatic skin tightening. If you have significant skin excess, you would likely be best served by a procedure that directly removes the excess skin and fat combined with liposuction for contouring. It is important that you see a plastic surgeon who can evaluate the areas of concern and best develop a plan that helps you achieve your desired goals. Best of luck to you!

Kahlil Andrews, MD
Cedar Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Do I qualify for a liposuction?

Hello dear, thanks for your question. Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body contours and proportion. Also your BMI cant be over 32 for a plastic surgery

Ideal liposuction candidates are:

• Adults within 30% of their ideal weight who have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone
  • Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for body contouring

If you are bothered by excess fat deposits – located anywhere on your body – that don’t respond to diet or exercise, liposuction may be right for you.

I recommend to visit a board certified plastic surgeo for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction for patient 4 feet 11 and 245 pounds?

I think undergoing liposuction would be ill-advisable for you at your current weight and BMI.  The dangers of anesthesia and surgery are greater in this range and I would recommend against you proceeding.  It goes without saying that slow gradual weight loss through proper diet and exercise would be in your best interest.  Best wishes and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Kick Start Liposuction.

I treat many patients at that weight and the outcomes are very satisfying. It's not a weight loss procedure but you do lose weight. Typically the weight loss is immediately around 6-8 pounds of fat which doesn't seem like much from a numbers standpoint. In your case it is more of an instant multi-size reduction. It's also a huge stimulus to protect your investment and continue the weight loss by permanently changing your diet and exercise lifestyle.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Truth about Liposuction

Liposuction is for contouring and shaping, which will decrease body size and disproportion.  I suggest a formal consult to see what and if you are a candidate for surgery. There are many options but liposuction itself is not for weight loss and close to your ideal weight is recommended for best outcomes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Candidate or not

You are not the ideal candidate for liposuction and your doctor will recommend weight loss through a nutritionist, lifestyle modifications or possible weight loss surgery. 

DrBurnett#realself100