Can asymmetric eyes be corrected with double eyelid surgery? One mono, one double turned into two different monos. (photos)

My eyes have always been asymmetrical. This is mainly caused by shape and placement. When I was younger I had one double eyelid and one monolid, making my eyes very different. Now, I have two monolids, but they still retain some differences in shape. Ideally, I'd want to both correct the shape and mask the placement of my eyes. Is this possible through double eyelid surgery? Will the fact that my eyelids can turn double naturally when I'm tired help the surgery look more natural?

Asymmetric eyes with single eyelid fold

hello jonathan,

thank you for your question and pictures.  as you have astutely observed, your eyes are different, in size, and placement in your skull/face.  everyone one of us has asymmetry of our eyes and features which makes you entirely normal.  also, your asymmetry is within a normal range and thus others don't notice this subtle difference between one eyelid and the other.  double eyelid surgery is generally performed to open and enlarge eyes, attempt to create more symmetry, and lastly to create a fold.  in my experience, I do find it easier to create double eyelids when the eye is trying to create a fold.  alas, i am happy to see you in my office for a consultation so I can examine you and give you further information.  otherwise, best of luck! 

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can asymmetric eyes be corrected with double eyelid surgery? One mono, one double turned into two different monos.

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your question.  Bilateral upper lid blepharoplasty would be the correct procedure to make both your eyes more symmetrical.  I would go on a couple of consultations with Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgeons to better evaluate your concerns. 

Best of Luck!

Shumway Cosmetic Surgery

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon