Will my belly button go in and look normal soon? It looks to much like an outie. (Photo)

I had a HLT tummy tuck 6 weeks ago and I am not happy with my belly button, it looks like a cross between and innie and outie. On my 3 week checkup with my doctor I informed him that I was not happy but he keeps assuring me that it will take about 3 months before it looks normal. I need to know if I should tell my doctor to do a revision or it will start to look normal and go in. I am also concerned that my stomach does not have much shape.

Postoperative Swelling

At 6 weeks postop, you still have a significant amount of swelling.  You need to wait about 4-6 months to see your final shape and appearance of your belly button.  If it does not improve revisionary surgery of the belly button can be addressed under local anesthesia. Best wishes on your recovery.

Six weeks post op from your tummy tuck is still too early to evaluate the outcome.  You are still very swollen.  Communicate with your surgeon and give it more time.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Will my belly button go in and look normal soon? It looks to much like an outie.

You still have considerable swelling and revision at this point is not advisable. Wait at least 6 months and reassess the umbilicus result at that time.

Good Luck!   

Jarrod Daniel, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

If after 4 to 6 months from surgery the bb still looks "outie" than you would need revision surgery. This is my over the internet opinion without in person examination. 

Outie belly button

Thank you for your question and photos.  As you are only 6 weeks from your procedure it is too early to determine your final result, especially for your umbilicus which can remain swollen for quite some time.  The determination as to whether a minor revision is required should not occur for a minimum of 4-6 months after your procedure, after the majority of your swelling has resolved and tissues have settled into their approximate final position.  At that time, you can re-evaluate with your surgeon.  At 6 months your abdomen should become more defined, as the majority of your swelling will be resolved.  Best wishes with your continued recovery

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is my belly button an outie and needs to be revised?

This is too early to have any idea about how your belly button will eventually look.  I agree with the online consults that you have recently received.  I would recommend that it will take  lose to a year to have your final result from your surgery to be seen.  Give it time, massage the umbilicus several times a day, and be sure that your Plastic Surgeon is aware how you are doing.

Good luck to you.

FrNk Rieger M.D. Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with early tummy tuck results.

It is too early to make an assessment about your final result.  It is too early therefore to even consider revision surgery at this time.  Follow your surgeons recommendations and allow yourself time to heal. Try not to be too critical of the results at this point.  Revision procedures are sometimes indicated, however that determination is usually not made for one year after your initial surgery.  Most of the time, the issues that concern patients early after surgery improve over time and they become satisfied as time goes by.   

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and belly button healing

Dear Alekat,

It is early following your tummy tuck surgery so additional changes are expected as the swelling subsides.  Once healing has fully completed you can evaluate the appearance of your belly button.  The belly button "outie" can be fairly easily fixed if the need should arise.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Outie

You have swelling around your belly button and it will take a few months for this to go down. You have swelling elsewhere and this is not unusual. Massage will help and the belly button has a tendency to scar inwards rather than outwards.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

Congratulations! 6 weeks is very early after a tummy tuck to evaluate your results.  You appear to have some swelling trapped in the belly button, which is quite normal after surgery.  Typically, a little massage in this area with a oily lotion will help, but clear this with your surgeon first. Swelling will continue to decrease over the next several weeks to months. Your body is also very sensitive to water at this time.  The appearance of your abdomen will fluctuate with bowel habits, salt intake, etc. until more time passes.  Wait it out and be sure to follow your surgeon's directions.  Best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon