Should I lose weight first?

In a previous post of mine a doctor said i should loose weight first, and i was wondering if others agree. I am 5'6 and 175lbs also im 25 with 2 kids.

Weight loss before tummy tuck

Great Question. Generally speaking the best candidates for tummy tuck are at a stable weight  BMI

Losing weight before surgery

Hello,  thank you for your question.   Your current BMI is 28 wich means you are in a hood moment for having surgery.   However, if you're planning to lose a significant amount of weight after surgery you should consider that you can end up with sagging skin.  Have a great day.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck surgery is one of the procedures that do benefit from patients achieving a maintainable and healthy weight since excess intra abdominal fat resists tightening of the muscle wall and puts pressure on your diaphragm and pelvic veins.  Starving yourself is inadvisable but getting to a healthy and maintainable weight is in your best interest for multiple reasons including the quality of the surgical results.  Discuss this carefully with your plastic surgeon before proceeding.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

It is recommended that you reach your goal weight before undergoing a tummy tuck procedure. While it's not required, meeting your goal weight before abdominoplasty surgery will ensure a better end result. The choice is yours. I would meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in person to go over your options. You may feel more comfortable making a decision after speaking directly to a professional. Good luck.

Abdominoplasty and weight lost

Your BMI is within the limits for the procedure now.  The question is whether you hope to lose weight afterwards because, in that case, it is better to reach and maintain that weight prior to surgery.  Losing weight after surgery can result in some skin sagging which might require subsequent revision.

Losing weight

Please indicate which procedures you are considering for a better physician response. For a tummy tuck it's best to be within 10-15 lbs of your ideal weight. Your BMI is 28.2. Accordingly you would be a candidate for a full TT provided that you are otherwise healthy. DrBurnett#realself100

Should I lose weight before a tummy tuck?

It is best to be at  or close to your goal weight before you have a tummy tuck for the best result.  Losing weight after a tummy tuck (>15lbs.) may result in developing additional loose skin and this may require a revision.  Also, when you lose weight, you not only lose fat that you see on the outside, but you also lose internal (visceral fat) which will make tightening your abdominal muscle wall more effective.  Discuss with your plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first?

Thank you for your question. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Your BMI is 28.2. This alone does not put you out of range where a tummy tuck would be safe. It is difficult to judge if you are a candidate without photos or an in person examination. You should seek a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Lose weight?

It all depends upon your exam and procedures you are interested in. If it is stubborn areas resistant to diet and exercise, surgical removal can jump start the process.An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.