Had my first laser hair removal session on October 29th, hair is growing back normally, will it fall out or do I need to shave?

And the hair is growing back at a normal pace, as it would if I had just shaved (maybe a bit less hair). Can I expect the hair to fall out on it's own or do I need to shave? Also, when is the earliest that I can start shaving until until my next session in 8 weeks? One of the areas I did laser on was my upper lip and brazilian area so I would like to know when the next time is I can shave those two areas.

One Session of Laser Hair Removal

It is too early after laser hair removal treatment to see results. Remember it takes 6-9 sessions of laser treatment to reduce 70%-90% of the hair. This is because not all hair is in its active growth phase. You can shave any time after treatment. Do not tweeze or wax the area before or during treatment. Doing so removes the hair follicles the laser targets. Keep up with your treatments to see best results.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Laser hair removal

Hi and thanks for your question. Laser hair removal like other laser treatments needs a series of treatments and you might not see any result with one session. 

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Be patient with laser hair removal--takes a series of treatments

You can shave now and it's too early to see results. It always takes a series of treatments for Laser Hair Removal and is dependent on each individual.  Diode lasers are typically the best treatment for laser hair removal.  I typically have patients do every 4 weeks for the first 3 times and then every 4-6 weeks for 3 times after. See an expert in laser hair removal for best results. Best, Dr. Emer.

First laser hair removal session

Hi there, depending on how thick your hair growth is you will need at least 2-3 sessions to notice some difference. Hair grows in approximately 4-6 week cycles so at any given time most of the hair follicles are not active and cannot be "seen" by the laser. With each session, more of the hair follicles are lasered. Think of it as a gradual thinning process. You should be able to shave the area as needed after each treatment, providing there is no irritation or burning.

First treatment with laser hair removal

You shouldn't examine the areas for hair loss at this time. It takes at least 3 to notice a difference. Shaving can be done immediately after the procedure.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser hair removal

I allow my patients to shave normally following laser hair removal.  Many of the hairs will actually fall out with normal shaving - these are the ones the laser actually treated.  Other hair will continue to grow normally, but you should continue to see less with each session.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon