Losing sensation when getting breast lift?

Hi I'm considering getting an breast lift i was wondering will i loose sensation/ feeling in my breast? Thanks

Loss of sensation post breats lift

I tell my patients anytime you cut the skin you are cutting little sensory nerves.Generally the sensation will return to soemewhat normal if not totally but there is always that outside chance.In doing breast lifts for 34 years I have not had a patient complain of losing their sensation.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sensation lost after breast lift is a complication of the specific technique

In many patients, lifting breasts will shorten the stretched nerves, resulting in increased nipple sensation. I have had women who had complete nipple numbness and after a breast lift have nipple sensation. Loss of nipple sensation is a function of the type of procedure used. I recommend avoiding the Wise technique that frequently results in the loss of sensation.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

It is possible to lose sensation completely, partially or actually gain sensation (especially in very saggy breast). In most cases the lose is usually temporary and in most cases lasts about 4 months. The possibility of nipple areolar sensation lose is about 5-10%.

Good luck   

Sensation following breast Lift

It will depend on the technque used which is determined by the extent to which the nipple needs to be repositioned.

With any surgery on the breast there is always a risk of an alteration in sensation. For most patients though it is not a problem.

Good luck with your surgery

Richard

Sensation following Breast Lift

Breast lift surgery almost always produces some measurable loss in sensation.  However, when the patient is asked at a year post surgery, 95% of responds report normal or heightened sensation.  This is believed secondary to improved self perception of the breasts and heightened sexual satisfaction.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Sensation is usually maintained with a breast lift

Thanks for your question. There is less than a 2% risk of complete nipple sensation loss following a lift. Most people maintain the same level of sensation following the surgery that they had preoperatively. Hopefully yours will come back normal as well. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7%. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk.  It can take up to a year for sensation to return.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD