Does loose skin cause skin irregularities on liposuction? (photos)

I want to do a liposuction. But I have a little of loose skin. Not much at all. I have 1, maybe 2 pounds I want to remove. Am I at risk of getting skin irregulaties because of loose skin? I don't want a ripped belly, I just want to get rid of that little extra fat on my lower abdomen. 2 doctors didn't want to do a liposuction on me, and recommended a tummy tuck. I don't want a tummy tuck because I don't want that ugly scar. Does skin irregularities occur from poor quality skin or other factors?

Lipo or tuck?

From your photos I agree with you.  Liposuction would contour your abdomen and hips, better defining your musculature, with minimal incisions.  The key is even compression postop so you do not have any irregularities. 

Loose Skin Affects Results of Liposuction

The answer to your question of whether loose skin can cause skin irregularities after liposuction is "possibly".  This all depends on the degree of pre-existing looseness before the liposuction, and your plastic surgeon can make this judgement at your pre-operative consultation.  The problem is that following liposuction, your skin must retract inward and lay down over the newly-reduced fatty layer.  Theoretically, there will be a slight excess of skin over this flatter area.  Usually, the skin's elasticity will allow it to adjust nicely and a flatter, smooth surface results.  However, if the skin is too loose to start with, the skin may not be able to smooth out and will bunch up slightly, causing shallow ripples or irregularities. In that case, you would need a tummy tuck to tighten the skin along with liposuction.  From your photos, it does not seem that your skin is too loose, and I think that a moderate liposuction should both flatten your tummy and leave the skin smooth.  

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

There are many more things to consider other than evaluation with pictures such as age, height, weight, children, etc. Based on your pictures alone, it is my humble opinion that liposuction will not be a successful procedure and you will be disappointed. The indicated procedure is a tummy tuck. I understand your fear of the scar but you need to realize that every procedure has its limitations. I have frequently treated women like yourself who have undergone a lipo when the indicated procedure was a tummy tuck. Because of same exact fears, the patient sought a surgeon willing to do the procedure. Net results: disatisfaction. I subsequently performed TT in all of these patients. I encourage you to seek a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in performing lipo and tummy tucks. It really gets down to how much trust can be established with your surgeon. Good Luck

Liposuction

Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in the art of liposuction. Upon examination, your surgeon will be able to determine which treatment options would produce the best results for you. best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Loose Skin

Liposuction is utilized for contouring the body by removing fat.  Liposuction does not improve the skin.  It is not typically performed if the patient has poor skin tone.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Skin irregularities post lipo

The skin waves and dips are due to too aggressive liposuction.You have to be careful and use small cannulas.If you have loose skin and it seems you do lipo will NOT remove loose skin.It actually could be worst so if you have lipo see how it goes you can always do a min tummy tuck later if you have to,

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Does loose skin cause skin irregularities on liposuction?

Liposuction on a patient with less than optimal skin on the abdomen does carry a higher chance for skin irregularity.    I would have to examine you to make a determination.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

Loose abdominal skin

Thank you for your pictures. I don't think your candidate for any procedure. When you stand up your abdomen looks very good. I don't see an excessive amount of fat. When you sit down everyone has a loose skin that's the nature of sitting. No cosmetic surgery going to improve that.

Good luck.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

Liposuction Options

Based on your photos you look like liposuction or even a non-invasive procedures such as liposonix would be helpful.  Seek the consultation of a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in fat reduction procedures.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

It appears that liposuction would work well for you

From your photos you appear to be the type of patient who would benefit from liposuction. You are in good shape and have just a little bit of contouring to be done. It should work very well for you.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS