Can I Remove the Loose Skin on my Backside and Thighs in One Surgery and What Scars Would I Have?

I am male, 28 year old and lost 140lb over 10 years ago. This left loose skin across my body. I have had a gynaecomastia procedure and full abdominoplasty. I still have loose skin on my backside and thighs which I would like removed. Can this be done in one surgery and where would the scars be located? Thank you for your assistance.

Combination Massive Weight Loss Surgery

It's not unusual for patients to develop significant amounts of loose, saggy skin following massive weight loss. This can effect almost any area of the body. In your case, you've developed redundant skin of the back, lateral thigh, medial thigh and abdomen. Your abdomen has already been addressed with an abdominoplasty.

Under these circumstances, it wouldn't be unreasonable to perform a posterior body lift. This procedure would remove excess lateral thigh and back skin while simultaneously lifting the buttocks and lateral thighs in an upward direction. The scar associated with this procedure would extend along the crest of the buttock and merge anteriorly with your abdominoplasty incision.

In addition, you're also an excellent candidate for a medial thigh lift. This procedure would remove excess thigh skin in both the transverse and vertical dimensions. The scars would be placed in the groin crease and extend along the medial thigh towards the knee.

It's reasonable to perform a medial thigh lift and posterior body lift together. This results in improved synergy, less expense and only one recovery.

When these procedures are performed together, safety has to be the first priority. For this reason, we believe it's important to minimize the length of these operative procedures. An experienced surgeon, first assistant and surgical team that focus on efficiency can minimize the length of the procedure and reduce the potential for complications.

If you're considering combination massive weight loss surgery, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that safely addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Contouring procedures

Congratulations on losing so much weight and being stable for awhile!  Your question is very reasonable.  After such weight loss, you can understand that you have a lot of loose skin.  Depending on your weight loss, people after bariatric surgery may need body lift, breast lift/augmentation, arm lift, thigh lift, and/or facelift.  Obviously you cannot get too many surgery at the same time as you have to think about the safe of surgery and recovery.  You should limit to about 8 hours of surgery. You should think about which area in your body bothers you the most.  For most people, they start with body lift as the result can give you a big difference.  Also, research on a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who has specialized in body contouring procedure after weight loss.  Best wishes.

Thigh Lifting and Back Lipectomy?

Congratulations on your weight loss.

You may benefit from thigh  lifting as well as back/flank lipectomy surgery. Depending on your medical condition and physical examination this may be able to be done in one stage or may be more  safely done in two stages.

Consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be helpful.

Body Lift & Thigh Lift

The procedure that describe for your back is essentially completion of a body lift since you already underwent an abdominoplasty.  This would improve the excess skin of your lateral thighs and buttocks in addition to the back.  This procedure could be done in conjunction with a medial thigh lift, but it would be safer to have them staged and performed in two separate operations.  The scars would be comparable to the scars that you had with your previous surgery, but you have enough excess skin in the lateral thighs that a scar extending down the thigh would likely be needed here and would be visible if wearing shorts, etc.

John Whitt, MD (retired)