Had upper bleph 9 days ago. I'm noticing a difference in the way the lids are looking. Should I be concerned? (Photo)

Why are lids looking different?

Post blepharoplasty eyelid assymetry

hmcdaniel90,

It is common to have swelling after a blepharoplasty.  Your assymetry in the upper lid area may be due to postop swelling vs the surgical procedure itself.  Be patient, you are still early in your healing process to be able to evaluate the results. Be sure to go to follow up appointments with your surgeon to address your concerns regarding the asymmetry.  Best of luck.

Healing from blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question.  The photos provided show some asymmetry between the two eyelids.  However, you are still early in the post-operative period and should allow ample time for the swelling to resolve and healing to occur.  It is not entirely uncommon for there to be some asymmetry after surgery.  Should the asymmetry be significan  after several weeks, a 'touch up' revisional procedure can be considered typically after 6 months.  Best wishes.  

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry following surgery

I do notice the asymmetry between the eyelids. This may be due to swelling from your surgery, asymmetric incisions, and/or asymmetric removal of upper eyelid skin. In order to determine which of these factors are contributing to your asymmetry, you should wait for the swelling to subside. It is not uncommon to have one side of the face more swollen following surgery due to positional changes (perhaps you tend to sleep favoring one side over the other). I would follow up with your doctor and continue your postoperative care as instructed by your surgeon. 

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Even though this is only 9 days out from the eyelid surgery, you have a problem.

There is far too much mediocre eyelid surgery out there.  The tendon that inserts into the upper eyelid connecting it to the muscle that raises the upper eyelid has been damaged or was left uncorrected by your surgeon.  This is contributing to the hollowness and upper eyelid ptosis in the right upper eyelid.  There is also no support the eyelashes in the upper eyelids.  You also have a compensatory eyebrow elevation that is stronger on the right side.  This can be corrected.  However, your surgeon will not have the know how to make the necessary repairs on your eyelid.  The eyelid needs to heal for 4 to 6 months before you will be ready for this repair work.  In my experience, you will need to travel to have this corrected.

Lids look different

Hello.  I certainly can see the difference you notice.  While the first concern is asymmetrical skin incision and removal of skin creating two different results, I do want to emphasize that 9 days is still early to make a definitive conclusion.  Each side may heal differently, and perhaps one side is still more swollen.  It's important you continue the eye & wound care your doctor recommended and keep your follow ups with him/her.  Often, these irregularities will settle and the results will be fine.  Good luck.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op bleph

You do have an asymmetry here.  Much of this is due to the asymmetry of the brows - you will notice that the right brow is higher so you can see more of the skin on this side.  One question is whether you have a ptosis on this side that was not corrected leading to an elevated brow.  If the brow drops on its' own there shouldn't be much of a visible difference.  Give yourself more time to heal and they may even out.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon