My sutures ruptured 2 day post op full TT. Do the sutures just continue to unravel or what? And will pain go away?

My PS confirmed that the upper part of My TT seperated 2 day post op from dry heaves twice before I could get nausea patch back on. Ripped up top, pain ever since. It feels like what I imagine a hernia would. Weak hernia feeling is spreading sideways down toward bellybutton, sore to light touch. Now my belly button sticks out slightly. Is it possible for all sutures to unravel, like a corset? How did it rip so easily? I'm afraid to even sneeze...seriously! Will pain heal on own?

Incisions Ruptured

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

The best advice to offer with incisions rupturing is to visit your surgeon right away to have the incisions examined and make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Tummy tuck concern

Thanks for your inquiry, at this stage you need to have a clear line of communication with your surgeon to discuss how to proceed.  Without more details it is impossible for us to advise. 

What happened?

I'm afraid this is something only the operating surgeon can address. He or she is the only one who knows what was done and what could have happened. You may need some imaging studies to clarify things and  perhaps a trip back to the OR may be necessary.

Good luck,

This would be something you would need to address with your surgeon. He/she is the only one that would know exactly how everything is stitched on the inside and should be able to tell you what to expect. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon