Would it be a good idea to get a nose job?

My nose is to wide and looks awful from the sides, would it be a good idea to get a nose jobs?

It all depends

It all depends on you, your nose, and the surgeon you pick. 

Choose a Nose surgeon who specializes in ONLY the nose and discuss the options with them in detail. 

Rhinoplasty candidate

Only the patient can answer the question as to whether or not they wish to proceed with a cosmetic rhinoplasty procedure. If you do, choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience, since rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery.

Rhinoplasty question

Rhinoplasty can treat and address a variety of features, including an overly wide nose, hump, or a large tip.  These are the most common.  An in-person exam would be necessary to examine the inside and outside of the nose to make a proper surgical plan.  Your surgeon can also discuss the recovery from the procedure and if you are a good candidate. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

If you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose, a rhinoplasty can help.  Surgery can help narrow the nose and improve the profile.  I would recommend a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss what changes are possible with a rhinoplasty.  At the visit you can also get an idea of what the recovery is like and surgery is "good idea" as you ask for yourself.

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

A picture is worth a thousand words

With some of your photos, I could give you a good idea of how much change is possible with a rhinoplasty. I usually make morphs when answering questions like this, but you didn't post photos. See the "Web reference" link, just below my post. At the *very* bottom of that page is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations like this.

That page also has a good section on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon -- how to pick a skilled doctor.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about refining and improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty can address droopy tip, bulbous tip, dorsal hump, hanging columella, and wide nostrils.

Rhinoplasty

Unfortunately, without photographs it is difficult to give you a very accurate opinion. The best thing for you to do is to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty to perform a nasal examination and give you an accurate, credible opinion. Based on your question and description, yes a rhinoplasty is a good choice when you want to change the size and appearance of your nose.  You may benefit from a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of your nose and possibly a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get A Nose Job?

Only you can answer this question. If you do not like what you see in the mirror, and you are not being influenced by others' opinions of you, but want the surgery for yourself, then it is time to pick up the phone (or send in an email) to arrange for a consultation. Because I do many revision surgeries in my practice for patients who have had unpleasant experiences elsewhere, I highly encourage you to do your research in finding an excellent rhinoplasty surgeon so that your surgery is done right the first time. Read reviews, look at photos, study the surgeon's educational background. Experience is extremely important, and not just experience working on the body, but decades of experience working on the face and nose.