Why would a doctor take it upon himself to cut the corners of your mouth when absolutely nothing was wrong with it?! (photo)

My lips were beautiful and ps decided to cut the corners of my mouth. Obviously, he did not do it evenly.mwhen I asked him why he did this he said so I wouldn't drool when I get old. ..........I told him before that I loved my lips. Please comment.

Concerns with surgical outcome

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for.I suggest you follow-up with your surgeon to discuss any concerns about the procedure. Hopefully the procedure and associated risks were discussed prior to your procedure. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip scars from surgery

At this point, I would minimize scarring with application of Plato's Scar Serum and fractional lasers with fillers to help smooth out the scars. 
Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Concerns with lip procedure -- Discuss with your physician

I suggest you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Any procedures that may have been performed should have been explained to you prior to consent. Best, Dr. Emer

Why would a doctor take it upon himself to cut the corners of your mouth when absolutely nothing was wrong with it?!

Hello Leisa1 - Thanks for your question. It looks like you had a corner of the mouth lift procedure.  I would hope that you and your surgeon discussed this prior to surgery and that you signed a consent form for this particular procedure.A corner of the mouth lift doesn't change the appearance of your lips.  It does raise corners a bit to straighten out your smile and reduce the marionette's line, resulting in a less harsh appearance around the mouth.Your current asymmetry may be due to swelling or minor nerve irritation.I would recommend that you speak to your surgeon about your concerns to make sure you are both on the same page. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Hello Leisa1,
If you have a question as to why a procedure was performed it is best to discuss that with your surgeon.  Your post op photo does show some bruising at the corner of your mouth but no definite incisions are visible.   Sometimes incisions can be made at the junction of the red part of the lip and the white skin for graft placement or for advancement procedures, but this would have been known to you prior to your surgery.
I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Corner lift

Thank you for the pictures.  To be honest with you, I'm not sure why your surgeon would perform any procedure that had not been previously discussed with you.  I strongly suggest you air out your concerns with your operating surgeon as this is certainly not common place.  He or she should explain to you in detail why and how things were done - i know we are now almost 5 months out, but you really should talk things over with them.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why would a doctor cut the corners of your mouth when nothing was wrong with it?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Though your images do not clearly demonstrate the cut that was performed in the corners of your mouth I think the best thing would be to communicate your concerns to your surgeon.  They should be able to clearly discuss how and why the procedure was done the way it was, as cutting the corners is not a commonly performed procedure.