Should I consider a face lift at age 40 to reduce appearance of a scar? (Photo)

I am 40, no wrinkles yet, save for the slight furrow between my eyes. I was in an accident at age 17 which caused some scarring on my left cheek. My boyfriend's ex-wife just had a full lift at 61, so he has suggested that I look into this myself, as stretching my skin will make it appear tighter, give a reduction in the scar appearance by pulling it tighter, and a more defined jaw line. What type of procedures should I look at to reduce scarring and tighten skin? Is face lift safe at 40?

The Objectives of a Facelift

A #facelift is a surgical procedure designed to remove the major folds and wrinkles that form on our faces with age. Gravity, sun damage, smoking, living in a dry climate, and a variety of factors contribute to the aging process of our faces. Facelift techniques vary from patient to patient to give each person a procedure tailored to produce the best possible surgical result. A facelift will smooth out major folds and #wrinkles, #tighten the tissues beneath your skin, remove #sagging and excess skin. A facelift can also reduce excess skin around the #neck and #jawline.  

There is not just one facelift procedure, but a whole range of #facelift procedures. These different techniques have been developed over the years, involving different incisions and lifting the skin to varying degrees. A facelift may also involve the tightening of certain muscles and tissues, or liposuction of areas such as the jowls or chin.

Incisions vary depending upon whether the patient is male or female, the hairstyles, hairline, age, previous surgery, and other factors. Generally, the #incision starts in the temple, in front or within the hairline. It continues in front of the ear, sometimes partially hidden within the ear. It then goes under the earlobe, behind the ear fold, and ends within the hairline or at the hairline behind the ear. The newer, shorter scar #techniques, which do not include scars in or by the hairline, can be used for most patients. Frequently another small and hidden incision is made under the chin in a natural skin fold. This allows fat removal and tightening of the platysma muscle in the neck if required.

It is important to understand that facelifts are meant to remove major folds and wrinkles, not fine wrinkles. A facelift which removes every line and fold would be too aggressive and would result in an unnatural result. Fine lines and #wrinkles are better addressed by skin treatments such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion. 

Should you consider a facelift?

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing #fillers #jowls

Dear Muffin1974

Thank you for your question and photo!  You might consider Platelet Rich Plasma and micro fat grafting as a first step, possibly combine with laser or micro needle RF treatments.

With warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Depends...

Hi muffin1974,

The scar is not readily seen in your photograph so it's hard to answer specifically. However, while stretching the skin may make the scar less visible, that may be a very temporary fix depending upon where the scar is.

There are many ways to reduce the appearance of a scar, and you'll need an in person visit with a facial plastic surgeon for the best answer.

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift at 40

Hi Muffin,

Thank you for your question. Facial scars often look more noticeable when there is lax skin around them. I have seen the appearance of some scars become less noticeable after a facelift. Each situation is different depending on the direction of the scar and other factors. Unfortunately the picture doesn't have the resolution to see the scar or even assess your degree of aging. In general, I would not recommend a facelift unless it it will improves other signs of aging that you want corrected.  There are several other less involved options to improve the appearance of scars.  A mini lift may be adequate to address your concerns. It is best to have an in person evaluation by an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon. 

Stephen Fink, DO FAOCO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar Improvement through Facelift

Thank you for your question, unfortunately your picture is of very poor quality therefore finding it hard to access the scar on your cheek.  A facelift may improve your scar, however non surgical options could be viewed as well.  I personally believe age is not a factor for this kind of surgery.  If you have lax facial skin, lost volume and feel that you have jowls and wrinkles on your cheeks and you look tired when you're not then the concept facelift can help improve your appearance. With concept facelift you will look natural and fresh just like the way you feel inside. There are no bandages, drains and hospital stay but with lasting results of traditional facelift techniques it fits with today's age.

Please make sure you seek a Plastic Surgeon who can assess you in person and address your concerns and can provide you with information about which surgery is best suited to the look that you want to achieve.  All The Best 

Facelift at 40

Hello and thank you for your question.  It is difficult to see the scarring you are referring to in the picture.  However, it does appear that you have very youthful looking skin and facial structure overall.   I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation in person.  At age 40, there are a plethora of minimally invasive treatments that can both rejuvenate your appearance and improve skin quality, and texture.  These can range from topical medications, injectable treatments, laser resurfacing, and chemical peels.  The most important thing is to determine what exactly bothers you and to find the best strategy to treat this specifically.  It may be surgery, but it also may not.  Good luck!

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Facelift to Improve Facial Scar

In this picture I cannot see the scar and do not see anything that can be improved with a facelift. Some form of facial rejuvenation may be appropriate in most 40 year old ladies so I suggest you consult with a surgeon experienced in this work.

Facelift at 40

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo is is impossible to see any scar, therefore I am unable to answer your question just by looking at your photo alone.  I would suggest that you have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in order to get an exam and treatment options.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Scar improvement

It is truly impossible to give you any kind of accurate recommendation based on your photo. Yes, a facelift may improve your scar, but there may also be less invasive options that could help. My best advice would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certitude plastic surgeon in your area who performs a wide range of surgical and non-surgical techniques to have your scar assessed in person. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon