How Much Longer for my Incision to Close?

I got a extended tummy tuck jan 19 my incission open to weeks after that ... how long will it take to close im getting irritated..

Wound closure

The easiest thing would be to have your surgeon cut the area out and resuture.Stitches would be out in about a week.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Time for wound healing

Your surgeon should have a wound care plan for you.  He/she needs to make sure there is no retained suture material because that could keep the wound from healing.  This wound looks like it should close up in a few weeks if the care is proper and your nutrition is good.  I would be having my patient doing daily dressing changes on it using only saline and gauze.  Make sure you aren't putting anything on it that would delay healing like peroxide, Silvadene, iodine, etc.  Make sure you get plenty of protein and don't do anything that puts any tension on the wound.  There is often a delay of several weeks before a wound really starts closing in and then it starts to close pretty quickly.  Hopefully, this will be your experience.  And take heart, it usually ends up looking better than you think it will.  Good luck. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Delayed wound healing of a tummy tuck

Like the other consultants suggested, discuss your concerns with your PS and devise a plan of care.  Wounds will heal as long as a few conditions are present: a) no foreign bodies, i.e. suture remnants; b) no infection; c) no excessive tension.  Wounds will heal in slightly moist environments but the choice of dressing should be made by your doc.  Good luck and don't despair.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Complications are inevitable !

All surgeons including myself get complications. Although rare if they happen to you it doesn't matter how rare they are. The reason for the extensive training of a Board certified Plastic surgeon is that they have experience dealing with complications and limiting their impact. You need to be discussing this with your surgeon and understand the treatment plan and options.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon