How Long Do I Have to Wait Before Labiaplasty Revision Surgery? (photo)

I had a labiaplasty done 4 weeks ago. I'm really displeased with the results to say the least (not enough of tissue was removed over all, the labia on one side is twice as fat as the one on the other side, the whole thing just doesnt look symmetrical at all, there are parts where the skin is just hanging there). How long should i wait before the revision; should i consider laser procedure this time around; and are the revisions normally costlier than the 1st time procedures (i paid 5,000 )

Labiaplasty Revision

I would recommend waiting 6 months before considering a revision to your labiaplasty.  This will allow all of the swelling to come out and for you to see the true final result before making any decisions.  Good luck!

Labiaplasty swelling and asymmetry

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising or hematoma. The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other. I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous. I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks. I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense. The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

I would wait a full three-six months before assessing the final result and deciding on whether a revision is needed.

How long to wait for a Labiaplasty revision?

4 weeks post-op on a labiaplasty is way to early to consider any type of revision. The genital area, particularly the labia are very prone to swelling and persistent fullness. I would tell you to continue to take ani-inflamatory medication, gentlle heat may help with the swelling and support. There really is no difference between the regular procedure and laser procedure. Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfied with labiaplasty results? Wait until 3-4 months post op for FULL healing...

Best bet is to see your original surgeon and register your disappointment. It will take 3-4 months until you can assess your long-term results and decide if you wish a revision. While some minor revisions may be performed at 3-4 months, is you need re-operation on the same area, you should wait until 6 months post-op. Your original surgeon should either not charge you, or give a considerable discount. Of course, if you are dissatisfied, you may see another expert (do your online homework!), but it will cost you more.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Consider revision after swelling subsides

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the results. At this time, you appear to still be swollen and this could be affecting your results. I wouldn't recommend having a revision any earlier than 6-12 months. Return to your surgeon to discuss your results. If you return to your original surgeon, there's a good chance that the revision may not cost as much. Performing this surgery with laser does not alter the final outcome.

Revision Labiaplasty

3-6 months should be enough time for the swelling and scarring to minimize, in order to be properly evaluated for a labiaplasty.

I would agree that an inadequate amount of tissue was removed from the right labia minora, and, perhaps, too much tissue from the labia on the left side. There is also irregularity at the clitoral hood reduction, which could be corrected.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with good reviews on RealSelf and good before and after photos who you feel comfortable with to address these concerns.

Revising labiaplasty

shouldn't be something you jump back at.  As long as there is swelling and distortion, it will be difficult to be accurate with what is done during the revision.  Your own doctor should have a revision policy but if you do not intend to see him/her again, consider a surgeon well versed in this procedure.  While not technically difficult, judgement must be superior or bad things will happen again. 

Costs will vary with regions but fees for this procedure done in the office under local does not exceed $2000.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty Revision

From your picture it looks like your left labia is well done, while your right labia still has excess skin and will need a revision. Your revision can be done right away. I would not recommend a laser, but rather to make use of a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with labiaplasty. While it may be slightly more expensive, an experienced surgeon will ensure that the procedure is done correctly. Prices for the revision will vary from doctor to doctor.

Jaime Perez, MD
Labiaplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Revision after Labiaplasty

Only 4 weeks after labiaplasty the tissues are still swollen and have a lot of changes to go through before you can appreciate the final result.  That said, after another 6 weeks or so you should start getting a good idea of how things are going to turn out.  Before any revision surgery is contemplated the tissues need to mature and soften again so this could take up to 6 months from the time of your original surgery.  Make sure to keep your scheduled follow up appointments with your surgeon so s/he can track your progress.  If you are considering getting a second opinion at any point make sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who specializes in this procedure.  Glad to help...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Waiting for a labiaplasty revision

No attempt to revise you labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure. You had a trimming labiaplasty with a very asymmetrical result. Your appearance will be better in five months, and the swelling will be less.  You need to control your anxiety and wait.  The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction.  I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago.  You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one more good chance to reconstruct you so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD